Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I have an 05 ZZR600 with just under 100 miles on it, and I live in Florida where the weather is nice right now but not hot.

Following the owner's manual, which states to use the choke if the engine is cold and it's under 95 degrees out, I attempt to start the bike with the choke open and it immediatly dies.

If I attempt to start it without the choke on, it takes several attempts, and sometimes a blip of the throttle to around 2 grand as it starts to get it to stay running.

As soon as it does start, it runs smoothly. Is this normal, or even normal for an engine in the break-in stage? Or is there maybe something that needs to be adjusted?

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
607 Posts
Both of our '02 Ninjas do the same. If I start either one with the choke completely in the ON position, the bike will immediately rev too high, but they do need some choke. I usually use about half-choke on the 9R and about 2/3 to 3/4 choke on the 6R. Might take a little experimenting to find your choke's sweet-spot.
And I don't know if it's just the California models that have the EPA fuel-shutoffs, but if your bike has the shutoffs too, just feather the throttle a tiny bit when touching the starter.
I don't know if you've already read this Giska, but here's an excellent article about properly breaking-in and starting your new bike, written by the late-great Gordon Jennings who is right up there with Kevin Cameron (though these magazines are not worth buying just for the articles written by these two.)
http://www.chrisandlisachan.com/break-in-game.htm
Have a fun weekend with your new baby! I hope your weather's as good as ours in in SoCal.
-Calamari Chris in C'bad

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CC, glad to hear it's normal. I have read that article, as per another post of yours to someone else. I'm following his advice completely. It's been a little rainy (been caught twice in the rain so far), but it's Florida rain, so it only lasts 20 minutes or so. I'm hoping by the end of the weekend to be near to 250 miles on it, if the weather people are right, it should be clear skies through Sunday.

Kris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts