Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am a newbie on the site but from I read so far I think this is the plase to be if u r a kawi fan. Now to my question how hard would it be to change the stator of a 2005 kawasaki zzr600

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I kinda am gettin ready for the worse. My bike's been acting very weird lately. Foe example after a 45 min ride one day wont start the next day. That made me think that the bike is not charging the battery properly and I was looking for an advise how hard is it to change the stator by myself. (The battery that I have is only few months old and gave me no trouble in the summer time)Actually I posted the question too early. I still have to measure the voltage change at the battery therminals with the bike ideling and when I rev it up. That's my mission for tomorrow and than I'll actually figure out if I have to change the stator or not. Do you have any tips or advises in that area?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The best thing to do is take it one step at a time. It is much easier on the wallet that way.
1. Charge your battery for 24hrs with a 1 to 1.5amp charger.
2. Take a voltage reading of the battery, should be "at least" 12.4v.
3. Turn on bike, but do not start. Battery voltage will drop but should not go below 12v. If it continues to sag, battery is suspect.
4. Start bike, voltage should jump up.
5. Rev bike up to approx. 4000rpm, voltage should be around 14.5v.

If it passes all steps, then we can go on to other things.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Loose battery cables can be one cause, another would be loose cables from the starter solenoid to the starter motor. Don't forget the ground cable from the Negative(-) terminal to the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I followed all the steps and the readings were:
Step2: 12.59V
Step3: went down to 12.4V
Step4: went up to aprox. 13V
Step5: here it is where it failed I reved the engine up but the voltage never went above 13.95V.
Does that proove anything and does it mean anything at all?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, you should get a Kawasaki service manual for your bike and double check that charging voltage against factory specs.
It seems a tad low, to me, like one phase is weak or missing, but I do not know the "exact" spec. Its close, but should be verified. Stargate could be right on the money.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
As I understand it, if the voltage is below 13.5 it has problems keeping the battery charged and over 14.5 and you start getting into the "boil the battery dry" territory.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
My concern is that if he indeed charged his battery, as I specified, and it checked out, 13.9v seems a little low because if he drains the battery a little, for some reason, that voltage may drop even lower when attempting to charge the battery, and that could take a long time if the voltage drops too much lower. That is why he should verify the exact specification, just to be safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts