Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Testing my starter relay it’s shot...soo ordered a new one. I’m testing my stator ohms are 1.1 on all 3 wires manual says it should be .3 or.6 can I assume my stator needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
How confident are you that your meter is that accurate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Testing my starter relay it’s shot...soo ordered a new one. I’m testing my stator ohms are 1.1 on all 3 wires manual says it should be .3 or.6 can I assume my stator needs to be replaced?
Short your meter's test leads together and subtract the reading from the total taken with the stator pairs. If the 3 winding read the same and less than 1 ohm, my guess is the stator is ok as long as none of the windings are shorted to ground or if you had intermittent problems. Test the AC reading when the engine is running. You should measure ~60 vac on any pair.

Edited:
From the EN450 service manual:
Kawasaki EN450/454LTD
Charging system:
Charging system output 14 to 15 volts DC @ 4000 RPM
Alternator output 60 volts AC @ 4000 RPM
Stator coil resistance 0.3 to 0.6 ohms

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short your meter's test leads together and subtract the reading from the total taken with the stator pairs. If the 3 winding read the same and less than 1 ohm, my guess is the stator is ok as long as none of the windings are not shorted to ground or if you had intermittent problems. Test the AC reading when the engine is running. You should measure ~20 vac on any pair.

Thx I’llll check

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did you do a phase to ground test? Also you can do a no load ac voltage test. Test unrectified, unregulated voltage by unhooking leads at first connection outside alternator. Check ac voltage from a to b, b to c and c to a. Wish I could give exact figures but it has been to long, something like 75 to 80 volts at 6k rpm.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
For my ZN1100 the alternator output is "about 50 volts at 4,000 rpm" according to the manual but note, this is 50 volts AC so make sure your meter is set to measure AC voltage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do your test by using the idle adjustment to set the RPM at about 2000. This will put the stator output between min and max. It will also hold the engine speed at a constant. The output on the 3 phases a-b, b-c, c-a all should be within 1 volt AC. I think my values were about 30 volts and within 0.1 volt of each other. The voltage should increase to around 50 at 4000 rpm.

The defective start relay would not damage the stator. Two different systems. Starting and charging. Only common component is the battery.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Be aware that though this test is valid and necessary it is not always accurate. I once had a case where phase to phase ac voltage was well within specs yet the battery would not charge. Removed the alternator and it was a stinking burned mess. Difference between voltage and amperage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw the previous posts on no load output voltage and they are more realistic for the 454 than my previous post. I edited my previous post to reflect this information.

From the EN450 service manual:
Kawasaki EN450/454LTD
Charging system:
Charging system output 14 to 15 volts DC @ 4000 RPM
Alternator output 60 volts AC @ 4000 RPM
Stator coil resistance 0.3 to 0.6 ohms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts