Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry........I shouldn't be saying this, because I am 61 myself, but come on people ! I was going down a 4 lane divided highway and was doing about 40 in the outside lane. Came into the intersection on the green and saw a car coming up on the right to make a right turn into my lane. Figured he would stop on the red before he made his turn into my lane, but nooooooo, he just cruised right thru and into my lane..........never saw me, because he never looked ! Just a couple of Qtips out for a Sunday drive.....lookin for someone to kill. The bad part is that they did it right in front of a cop and the cop didn't see it. Anyway, me being the defensive rider, I always leave an escape route, so I just swerved into the empty lane to my left. Of course, I was waiting for him to take my lane too. In that case I would have taken the median........unless he wanted that too.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to traffic. How does your signature say it? "Better to die living, than to live dying"

·
Registered
135 Posts
No need to be sorry. I feel the exact same way, I got taken out by old blue haired bat last Friday. 80+ years old, handicapped, and still frickin driving! I was fortunate, I walked away, there was lots of witnesses that stuck around to give statements to the police. She never saw me cause she didn't look, she didn't signal, she just turned right into me, not from a side street, I was east bound, she was west bound, she just turned into me without warning, I wish there would've been an escape route for that.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Not so much the old that is responsible for that so much as it is complacency on their part. They probably drive that route all the time, and got used to seeing traffic at certain places...you weren't seen with that quick look...so they rolled on through :rolleyes:

I had someone do it out in front of me (making me slow down behind them...not life threatening like yours)...but luckily, a cop saw them, pulled a u-turn, passed me, and pulled him over :lol: Sucka!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The shoe was on the other foot today when a woman approximately 40 years of age cut into this 67 year old riders lane, but this old guy was too quick for her.

·
status? don't need it.
614 Posts
that's why we ride defensively. isn't it? if you think they see you, you're just another bug in their radiator.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Yesterday around western PA, it was 72 according to the bank's thermometer.
Was going thru downtown Sharon PA (home of Quaker Steak and Lube).
One intersection, there is a 3-way stop sign. You stop your vehicle on the white line because how the dividers are, its hard to make a turn if stopped at the stop sign. I was stopped and when it was my turn (I had signal on bike to turn left), I proceeded to go but, this f'ing clown with Ohio plates in an SUV was bs'ing on cell phone (I seen him) and just never stopped, he went thru the intersection like he was in la-la land. I beeped the bike's horn and let out with some nice expletives. Luckily, I was smart enough to proceed slowly because that intersection aint the greatest ever devised.
I've had so many of these types of incidences this year its enough to make ya puke.
I need to come up with a cell phone jammer thats operable from a handlebar switch. And then, heat seeking missles that fire from the saddlebags.

Lucky...

·
status? don't need it.
614 Posts
That's why I stay out of California
that and it's 2,000 miles away. there are better reasons to stay out of Cali. just ask the crazillions that have already fled.

our governor --> YouTube - Arnold Smokes weed (allegedly)

aside from that, since we have so much traffic in the cities, we have to ride very defensively and watch out for all kinds of clowns.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
^^^ And hides hidden messages in letters back to state congress ....

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm almost in favor of doing away with right on red altogether. It just doesn't seem like people understand the way it works. STOP!! Make sure nobody is coming, then go. It doesn't sound that difficult, but apparently it is. I just don't get it. :mad:

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
I need to come up with a cell phone jammer thats operable from a handlebar switch.
Please count me as your first customer but make mine work anytime my ignition switch is on...and a radius of a quarter mile would be fine...8)

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
.....I need to come up with a cell phone jammer thats operable from a handlebar switch.....
Lucky...
Was reading an article the other day. There's already work being done on vehicle ignition interlocks that disable any cell phone in the vehicle. IMO its over due

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
At least old people generally drive on the slow side. And that gives you a chance to avoid them or get out of their way. My dad drives *incredibly* slow. And I mean barely moving--like 10mph until his truck gets "warmed up."

On the other hand, teenagers, who have no driving experience and think they're invincible, drive fast and recklessly, usually while yakking on the phone and goofing off with their 50 friends in the car. I'll take an old guy any day!

My dad's never had an accident, but the first year my stepdaughter's friends started driving, they ALL had accidents. Some of them had two accidents in the first six months of driving!

·
Registered
548 Posts
At least old people generally drive on the slow side. And that gives you a chance to avoid them or get out of their way. My dad drives *incredibly* slow. And I mean barely moving--like 10mph until his truck gets "warmed up."

On the other hand, teenagers, who have no driving experience and think they're invincible, drive fast and recklessly, usually while yakking on the phone and goofing off with their 50 friends in the car. I'll take an old guy any day!

My dad's never had an accident, but the first year my stepdaughter's friends started driving, they ALL had accidents. Some of them had two accidents in the first six months of driving!
I agree that people who are driving too fast and distracted are a bigger problem, but driving way under the speed limit can be really dangerous as well, especially if the driver has other bad habits that compound things.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There are nuts on every tree I came home last night 4 miles from home after 360 trouble free miles I round the corner to see an idiot in my lane a 2 lane back road as I head for the grass the last thing I see is his dome light on and he's playing with his cell phone, glad I didn't let my guard down and vulcans don't handle well in the grass at 45 mph. At least I lived to tell the story

1 - 20 of 66 Posts