Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted the compressor part of the air horn in a different spot than the horn? People on the HDForum have talked about it but I haven't heard anything mentioned about it on this forum. There seems to be enough room on the left side by the radiator for the compressor then mount the horn part where the oem horn is located.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hmm dont know. The apealing part of this unit is because it is so compact it will fit in lots of places. I have an 07 900 and I put it up under the gas tank on the right side (as you sit). Its tucked out of the way, unobtrusive and still gets the sound out. When I bought mine they didnt have the chrome ones so mine is black. Check the search function here and use like "air horn" "stebel" something like that. You should gets lots of results. Heck use my name and do a search and look for the horn related ones, somewhere along there is some pics.

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen pics with it posted under the tank on the right side. That is what I will do if I am unable to seperate the compressor and horn.

·
Registered
591 Posts
About a year ago there were lots of threads in this site regarding stebel installation. I vaguely remember people saying that you shouldn't place it in the same spot as the original horn. Apparently the Stebel is big enough that it will hit the fender when the front suspension is compressed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
DJH3, got pictures? I never installed mine because I want it to be as invisible as possible, and having it tucked under the tank sounds like a good solution.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
El Zoro. hope this works so you can see the horn. You may have to click on the pic to enlarge. I tucked mine way up under the tank, some mount it close to the edge. I have seen them mounted on the lef by your foot. But I think up higher has lees chance to get water and junk in it.
Heres the post link

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Wolo Bad Boy Chrome, physically it is the same as the Stebel. I used the bracket from the factory horn and mounted the new one on the left side above the shifter. See Pics:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Seperating could be an option. But the unit is such a nice tight piece ther is quite a few places to hide it.
AAron, I thought shortly about the same place. but I have a Classic and thus floorboards and also I mounted driving lights just about where you have the horn. They are forward of the floorboards and about toe high. I also thought that might be a bit to exposed to the rain etc there. But if you like it, far out. And true the Wolo looks alot like the Stebel. I would have bought one of those if the proce on the Stebel wanst right.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
About a year ago there were lots of threads in this site regarding stebel installation. I vaguely remember people saying that you shouldn't place it in the same spot as the original horn. Apparently the Stebel is big enough that it will hit the fender when the front suspension is compressed.
Depends on the bike. I have the Stebel replacing the OEM in the same location and no fending hitting on my Mean Streak.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you look close at the horn it is 2 pieces. There is a small square clip that hooks the actual horn to the side of the compressor, you just have to pry it up with a small screwdriver and you can pull the compressor down and out. The horn part will have a C shaped bracket that wraps 3/4 around the compressor. You can use that to wrap around the frame or hiway bars to mount it. Don't think you want the horn aimed forward as rain and bugs will go right into it and eventually block it up.

·
08 Vulcan 900 Classic
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my horn mounted today. I put it on the right side like djh3. I highly recommend getting the Plug-N-Play Harness. It made the wiring simple and very easy to hide the wires.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
WOW I didnt know they make a "plug n play" harness. Mine wasnt to bad. Took tnak loose and ran wires down the back bone and hid them.
Wayne101, thats what I was trying to say realy. Air horn would act like a scoop and all that trash goes right in. Had air horns on a pick up years ago and thats what happened to them, filled up with water. I had to remount so they were pointed down.

·
2007 Red 900 Custom
525 Posts
Originally, I was going to separate mine, but I couldn't get them apart. Every time I tried, it felt like I was going to break the plastic. I ended up just bolting it on the right side between the engine and the upper triple tree.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts