Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a $25 coupon to Amazon, so I'm planning to buy the Stebel air horn (with shipping and all that I'll end up paying about $30). They come in chrome or black, and I'm having a hard time visualizing what it will look like when it's on the bike. The way I figure it is that I'll be mounting it somewhere below the tank. That area is mostly black pipes, wires, and radiator. So a black horn may blend in better. On the other hand, the chrome horn may add a little style to a pretty bland section on the bike. And isn't a cruiser supposed to have massive amounts of chrome:mrgreen: So, I'm asking for the board's sage advice, especially those of you who have installed one. Black or chrome? And why? Price is not an issue since the difference is only $5.00.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Installed chromed one this past summer. Great sound. Looks, however not entirely satisfactory. Now, I would chose black.

·
Registered
905 Posts
FYI, on the chrome horn, certain polishes will strip the chrome off, and you'll end up with a black horn.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Slicktech and Roland, you should trade, LOL !!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the black and wish I had the chrome.
Slicktech, why do you wish you had the chrome? Where did you install it? Do you have a picture? I'm trying to avoid your dilemma. I'd hate to spend the money and time installing it only to wish I would have the other one.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I went with the black one on mine. I think it blends in better with the black engine and black paint job.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have the Black, you NEED the chrome. You know you need the chrome. You KNOW you WANT the Chrome. You're already trying to be loud and obnoxious. Don't fight your inner self, give in to the chrome. Ham and cheese is a beautiful thing. Sigler fans will know that line from 'The Rookie'. Donald Pine lives!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slicktech, is the place were you bolted specific to bikes with crash bars? I don't have those, but in your pictures it looks like it is independent of the bars. I'll check my bike out when I get home tonight.

·
667 Neighbor of the Beast
291 Posts
Pic of chromed Stebel on my Nomad

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Mine is in the same place as Desoto's (on my 900), and it definitely looks better there in chrome - sorry, but no pic available right now. Mounted up high, it's more sheltered and out of the weather and road 'stuff'. Just made a simple L bracket out of some 1/2 X 1 bar stock. and it's just like Kawi intended for it to reside there all along! Mounted the relay under the seat - nice and clean...and LOUD!! :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Had the black but put it on my wife's V-Strom when she wanted a louder horn. I put a new chrome one on my bike near the engine guard. Chrome is the way to go on a cruiser - save the plain jane black for your sportsbike.

·
Planning next trip...
116 Posts
I followed Slicktech's instructions I had already installed the Cobra highway bars and still had that leftover bracket from the old horn. Slicktech, thanks for posting that. It worked GREAT for me!

I purchased the chrome version:

On a side note, I did have to go to the store and purchase longer wires as the wires that came with the wiring kit were too short for this placement. I wanted to make sure all the wires were tucked away nicely and not visible.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Been 3 weeks, should be on the bike already. Where's the pictures???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts