Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 04 Zx6r and I cant figure out how to get the steering lock to work. The key only works in 2 of the 4 positions. Off and on! When I push down and turn it to lock, the key wont come out. Any help would be great!

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
Turn handle bars all the way to the left, turn key left and push in. Locks. If doesn't lock, bike has been dropped, take to shop to fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alec said:
Turn handles all the way to the left, turn key left and push in. Locks.
I did that, the handles are all the way to the left and I push in and I cant pull the key out. When in the lock position, it does not line up with the dot indicaters. Could it be the ignition is broke?

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
To me sounds like the bike has been dropped. Most likely the lock is damaged. I would take it to a pro. Without actually seeing the lock and playing with it, I wouldn't know the exact problem. Or you can post this is the mechanic section and GREEN can help you.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
I've heard of guys just replacing the whole unit, cost them some $$$. Shoot GREEN a msg. He's a great mechanic.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
You can get a brake disc lock for now...but then again, what's a steering lock or a disc lock going to do when someone picks up ure bike and puts it in the back of a truck?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alec said:
I've heard of guys just replacing the whole unit, cost them some $$$. Shoot GREEN a msg. He's a great mechanic.
What is that other position. Looks like a parking light or something on the ignition switch. I cant get it into that one either. This is my 1st bike. Sorry about asking noob questions.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
Yeah that's the parking light. Leaves to brake light on and you can pull the key out. Pretty useless...I haven't used it

·
Registered
459 Posts
I dont think dropping the bike would do it . Ive seen sportbike ignitions that wouldnt lock anymore or were very hard to lock after someone trying to steal the bike , stuck a screw driver in the ignition etc, sounds like someone tried to steal your bike by tampering with the ignition and it broke. Someone tried to steal my old ZX7R doing this, and after my ignition wouldnt lock. Ended up buying a replacement unit, Mine was 137 so expect to pay around that. The other thing that sucks is you will have two keys , one for the gas tank and one for the ignition , new ignition comes with new keys. Unless you get your gas lock re done or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AZ636 said:
I dont think dropping the bike would do it . Ive seen sportbike ignitions that wouldnt lock anymore or were very hard to lock after someone trying to steal the bike , stuck a screw driver in the ignition etc, sounds like someone tried to steal your bike by tampering with the ignition and it broke. Someone tried to steal my old ZX7R doing this, and after my ignition wouldnt lock. Ended up buying a replacement unit, Mine was 137 so expect to pay around that. The other thing that sucks is you will have two keys , one for the gas tank and one for the ignition , new ignition comes with new keys. Unless you get your gas lock re done or something.
Sounds right to me. The guys I bought it off of, said it was a theft recovery bike and the ignition was popped off. The bike doesnt look like it was dropped. It only has 4200 miles on it too. I dont mind having 2 different keys but as long as its only a 137 dollar fix. I am happy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
dj2plates said:
Sounds right to me. The guys I bought it off of, said it was a theft recovery bike and the ignition was popped off. The bike doesnt look like it was dropped. It only has 4200 miles on it too. I dont mind having 2 different keys but as long as its only a 137 dollar fix. I am happy.
I meant your looking at 137+- for the ignition , plus labor , unless you can install it yourself , its not hard at all , its plug and play. Its just a Biotch getting the other one off .

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
try locking it then move the bars to the right a little while still trying to lock it. I have had to do this to many bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn handle bars all the way to the left, turn key left and push in. Locks. If doesn't lock, bike has been dropped, take to shop to fix.
I didn't know that just bought my 03 zx6r. Thank you I was trying to figure that out earlier. I had a 1990 250 before this

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
Sounds like the thing to do now is find an owners manual and read it.

Reactions: WFO-KZ

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Versys 650 will not lock at full left. Some times you have to wiggle the steering back to the right just a little bit to get the lock to engage.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Maybe some penetrating oil or dry lock lube will help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts