Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We sure need a "how-to project" write up in the maintenance section on this job. I've let this one go past due on my Nomad mainly becuase after tackling the swingarm lube and noticing it was fine (and could have been delayed with no problem) -I figured the steering stem bearings would be the same.

However, I sure wish we had a detailed writeup with pics on this job -off to check gadget's site... :frown:

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow 24 hours and no response, not sure what that means :(

Perhaps nobody does this service and just ignores the manual, or everyone does it but doesn't want me to know it :eek:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1

Other than the possibility/probability that they're on the dry side from the factory (seems very common on metrics), all they really need is an initial "make sure they're wet" and a very infrequent retorque.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the opening paragraph of that gadget page...

"Steering Stem Bearing - Lubricate" This is one of those maintenance chores your owners manual tells you needs doing every two years or 24,000 miles. And when was the last time you disassembled and lubed yours? Yeh, well, you're not alone. This is a job many of us put off until we suddenly notice the steering has gotten notchy or stiff or noisy or all the above and then it's also expensive usually requiring bearing replacement."

And actually my owner's manual says 24,000km (15,000 miles). I'm just surprised so few seem to do it since we more often than not consider Kawasaki's maitenence intervals toooo long.

·
Back in the saddle
477 Posts
Just let it go until it gets a little ruff or starts to pop while turning. Then order new bearings and while you have it apart, drill the hole and put in the Zerk fitting.

I'll more then likely be in the market for a new bike before they go.
LOL

A friend of mine had to do his Intruder last year. The bike is over 5 years old. Not sure what year it is but he's had it for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have mine serviced every time I change the front tire on the Nomad. I also have an 03 Meanstreak,I have it serviced every other front tire change.Don't know how much it helps the bike, but it helps my peace of mind.

Mike

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
I did mine last fall. It's a real pain in the backside if you do it alone. Gadget isn't kidding when he says to get help. A couple of points when do it:

1. Make yourself a tool to remove and tighten the stem nut. I started with a 36 MM socket and sliced and diced until I got the four crown points to fit down over the nut. (You'll see when you take the top off the triple tree off.)

2. Have someone there to help you slide the stem out and back in. I did it by myself and pulled a couple of ribs leaning over the tank heaving up on the forks to get the steering stem up high enough to get the nut started.

And, no, I'm not going to go back and take it apart just to do an article on it. Next time, I'll do that. In another 30,000 miles.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
2. Have someone there to help you slide the stem out and back in. I did it by myself and pulled a couple of ribs leaning over the tank heaving up on the forks to get the steering stem up high enough to get the nut started.
That's why it's better to do it when the front rim is off :biggrin:

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
No way, isn't it illegal to pull the rim and struts? :biggrin: That's probably what I should have done.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
No way, isn't it illegal to pull the rim and struts? :biggrin: That's probably what I should have done.
You might be right... but my mattress doesn't have one of those tags on it either.

Wait.... waterbeds don't come with those tags, do they?

·
Back in the saddle
477 Posts
Ok, leave the wheel and all attached. After you remove the upper triple clamp and stem nut, have several bigger dimmer friends pick the bike up and hold it while you service the bearings. Many beers are required for this method.
It will be easier if they are LIGHT beers....:biggrin:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ok, leave the wheel and all attached. After you remove the upper triple clamp and stem nut, have several bigger dimmer friends pick the bike up and hold it while you service the bearings. Many beers are required for this method.
That sounds easier than getting the battery out of a 1600.

The commonly accepted "easiest" method is to pick the bike up, flip it upside down, and shake it. :biggrin:

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Another thing to do...;)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Another thing to do...;)
Vulcan saddlebags are not unlike a General Aviation bird.

The floor of an aircraft or saddlebags, you'd be surprised the things you "find" when you flip them upside down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts