Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nobody Home
1,770 Posts
I assume you're talking about the top nut on the steering stem. They don't get a lot of torque because you're just tightening it (and the upper triple clamp) against the nuts underneath that adjust the brg preload.

Tighten the top nut too much and you'll take the clearance out of the threads of the nuts underneath the triple clamp and increase the brg preload. It's kind of a juggling act getting the right amount of preload/drag on the steering head brgs with everything tightened down.

·
IBA#34418
6,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you're talking about the top nut on the steering stem. They don't get a lot of torque because you're just tightening it (and the upper triple clamp) against the nuts underneath that adjust the brg preload.

Tighten the top nut too much and you'll take the clearance out of the threads of the nuts underneath the triple clamp and increase the brg preload. It's kind of a juggling act getting the right amount of preload/drag on the steering head brgs with everything tightened down.
No I am talking about the star nut that actually holds it all together to the frame. And sets the preload.

·
Nobody Home
1,770 Posts
There are two nuts seperated by a locking washer. The torque spec sounds right. The lower nut is supposed to set brg preload and the top one locks it. You have to adjust them together, as a unit because as you tighten the upper, you take the thread clearance out of the lower and preload increases. They can be fun to adjust. I wouldn't worry over the torque spec. What's important is getting the preload/drag right and the nuts tightened together. The triple clamp and upper nut help hold them in position also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.