Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I have decided to break down and buy a Tsukayu stereo ready fairing and put in my own audio equipment. I;m going to go with a Kenwood Excelon head unit and probably a set of 6 1/2 2 way marine speakers. Now my question is do I need an amp or will it be loud enough runing off the head unit? If I need to get an amp I'm not going to put a big *** car amp in there so what are your recommendations, where did you get it, and is it going to kill my stator or battery on a Vulcan 1600?

I have no other add on electrical equipment on the bike.

I used to build car stereos to compete but it's a little different when you can add extra batteries and add or replace altenators.

Any help would be appricieated.

-Mike

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm actually looking to go the head unit route, due to the Fairing. I know Rich has it in his but I wasn't sure what he did on his 1600 and the search function on this site is giving me way to may posts to search though.

The head unit I'm going with is satellite, HD ready, and also I can plug my GPS into the USB port to charge / and I can sync my phone to it so when I'm travelling I can answer it if I need to. It's a pretty bad *** head unit for under 300 bucks. The speakers I'm looking at range from $99 to $189 and are marine grade so they hold up to water (which I don;t normally ride in anyway.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Yeah I'm actually looking to go the head unit route, due to the Fairing. I know Rich has it in his but I wasn't sure what he did on his 1600 and the search function on this site is giving me way to may posts to search though.

The head unit I'm going with is satellite, HD ready, and also I can plug my GPS into the USB port to charge / and I can sync my phone to it so when I'm travelling I can answer it if I need to. It's a pretty bad *** head unit for under 300 bucks. The speakers I'm looking at range from $99 to $189 and are marine grade so they hold up to water (which I don;t normally ride in anyway.
any unit over 60w you should have no problem hearing but watt's and sex have alot in common, the more you have the happier you will be

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts

All depends. Most head units are going to give you something like 15-25 watts per channel RMS. Running a set of 6-1/2" speakers, that isn't too bad. You won't get (and can't hear) much bass from smaller speakers, and the fairing being the box won't be very efficient. That being said----higher wattage is generally desired to bring out bass as lower frequencies require more amplitude to be heard.

You should be fine running off the head unit. Don't expect thump, and don't expect high SQ-----you won't be able to tell over the wind/road/pipe noise anyways.

And FYI----Rich did a wide open customs fairing, which uses four 5.25" speakers. Wide Open Custom Plastic, LLC > Home I think he did Infinity Reference speakers running off the head unit, and he was pretty happy with it.

I know-----because I re-read that thread last week as I was researching fairings.:mrgreen: I decided I don't want to dump that much cash. Once I add in the paint I'm around $1200 on the cheapest fairing I can get, and that is painting it myself and using low end audio stuff.

Instead, I ordered the Uniq audio setup to run from an MP3 player. $269 vs $1200+ made the decision for me.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks shawn,

Yeah i knew he had a Wide Open fairing, just wasn't sure if he amped his speakers or not. I looked at those farings as well but I really don't feel like fabricating brakets and then having to take it to get painted because I can't paint for crap (which is one of the few things I can't do).

The Tsukayu Stereo ready one comes with the brackets already made and painted gloss black (I have a black bike) and shipped to my door it is $883. Then even with the higher end stereo head unit and speakers I'm still under $1500.

I figured about sound quality and bass due to the nature of what how this is. I'm not looking for a sound set up like I did in my car because quite frankly I wouldn't want the massive weight making proper enclosures and all the amps.

I guess that is sort of why I was curious about what amps people are using to keep them small yet add the power needed and where to buy them.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Thanks shawn,

Yeah i knew he had a Wide Open fairing, just wasn't sure if he amped his speakers or not. I looked at those farings as well but I really don't feel like fabricating brakets and then having to take it to get painted because I can't paint for crap (which is one of the few things I can't do).

The Tsukayu Stereo ready one comes with the brackets already made and painted gloss black (I have a black bike) and shipped to my door it is $883. Then even with the higher end stereo head unit and speakers I'm still under $1500.

I figured about sound quality and bass due to the nature of what how this is. I'm not looking for a sound set up like I did in my car because quite frankly I wouldn't want the massive weight making proper enclosures and all the amps.

I guess that is sort of why I was curious about what amps people are using to keep them small yet add the power needed and where to buy them.
Most people I have talked to are just using the head unit. For all that goes, I think the HD factory stereos on the fairing bikes are 20 watt/channel

You can get small 2-channel amps to give more power if you need it.

This is the one that is coming with my 4" speakers for the handlebars: UNiQ Cycle Sounds 150 Watt Motorcycle Amplifier
It has received good reviews from several people, and I have heard it in person. I have yet to see the RMS rating posted anywhere.

This is one of the better small ones out there:
Biketronics Harley Davidson Motorcycle Fairing Amplifier stereo upgrade

There are a ton of "made in China" tiny amps out there with huge claimed outputs. The claimed 500w ones on ebay are really something like 40x2 RMS. I doubt they last very long---but they are also like $30.......YMMV

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again.

While waiting for replies I actually found both of those. I don't really want to spend $350 on an amp right now, and the other one states that it is not recommended for Head units.

I guess I will just wait and see once I get it all installed. It's not that hard to add an amp if I need it, and it will give me something else to work on when I'm bored.

Thanks again Shawn. Hopefully if everything works out, I'll get to meet you on the PA ride and you'll see it in person.

-Mike

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Thanks again.

While waiting for replies I actually found both of those. I don't really want to spend $350 on an amp right now, and the other one states that it is not recommended for Head units.

I guess I will just wait and see once I get it all installed. It's not that hard to add an amp if I need it, and it will give me something else to work on when I'm bored.

Thanks again Shawn. Hopefully if everything works out, I'll get to meet you on the PA ride and you'll see it in person.

-Mike
I won't be on the PA ride this year----it coincides with national championships for armwrestling. So, I'll be in Montana that weekend.

Hopefully we will cross paths at some other point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Wide Open Custom fairing with the provided Jensen Marine stereo. I ordered it with the iPod connector and it works fine up to 70mph. I am going to test out Pioneer or Infinity speakers at some point and I am working on headset speakers from a JVC unit mounted to my helmet. Sometime this year I am going to work on a headset that I can switch to bluetooth connections for GPS and cell phone.

I do not understand the fabricating of brackets. My fairing came with perfectly crafted stainless steel brackets. And fortunately Harleys black paint perfectly matched my '06 Nomad black. 3 coats of black and 4 coats of clear.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Wide Open Custom fairing with the provided Jensen Marine stereo. I ordered it with the iPod connector and it works fine up to 70mph. I am going to test out Pioneer or Infinity speakers at some point and I am working on headset speakers from a JVC unit mounted to my helmet. Sometime this year I am going to work on a headset that I can switch to bluetooth connections for GPS and cell phone.

I do not understand the fabricating of brackets. My fairing came with perfectly crafted stainless steel brackets. And fortunately Harleys black paint perfectly matched my '06 Nomad black. 3 coats of black and 4 coats of clear.
I would personally go with the infinity speakers. They make a marine verison which is what I may go with. Either that or Polk.

As for the Bracket from the website it states it will only work with the Nomad and from the pictures I seen of Rich's he had to make brackets to fit the classic. I have a 1600 classic.

I already ordered the Fairing from Meancycles and it is painted stereo ready $875. I'm satisfied with that. I spoke with one of the guys on the phone and he was cool and helped me out.

This is the head unit I'm going with. I loved Kenwood's Excelon line when I played with cars.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I would personally go with the infinity speakers. They make a marine verison which is what I may go with. Either that or Polk.

As for the Bracket from the website it states it will only work with the Nomad and from the pictures I seen of Rich's he had to make brackets to fit the classic. I have a 1600 classic.

I already ordered the Fairing from Meancycles and it is painted stereo ready $875. I'm satisfied with that. I spoke with one of the guys on the phone and he was cool and helped me out.

This is the head unit I'm going with. I loved Kenwood's Excelon line when I played with cars.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature
Personally I would use Polk before Infinity.....

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally I would use Polk before Infinity.....
I used to use Infinity before I switched to MB Quart Components. I was just saying between the Infinity and Pioneers, I would choose Infinity first.

Tonight when I ordered the head unit and Speakers I did end up going with a set of Polk Componets. The are marine certified so I think after it is all said and done a made a good choice. Once I get it all in and set up I'll decide if I need the amp of not.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Will do with pictures of course
Nice website yikes I was happy to hit 300 but I'm only 5-9'' and weighed 185lbs ..lol

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone delt with Meancycles before?

I'm a bit upset, because I ordered this fairing off them on the 23rd and I have been waiting for a call back from them stating if I was going to be waiting 3 weeks to get this thing or if they already had one on order coming in to replenish their stock. I have talked to two different people, one male and one female, both saying they would call me back and neither have.

First call was on the 23rd when I ordered it, then I called on the 25th to see what was going on.

I should have just ordered it from Tsukayu directly. They have odd customer service hours because of their location but I got two responses from them via email in a matter of 3 hours after them opening with questions I had after I ordered from Meancycles (making sure I didn't need to buy any thing additional).

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i've done lots of dealings with MeanCycles.
they're excellent as far as my experience.

a few others on here have great things to say about them.

call em back and find out what's going on.
Sometimes they're restricted by the supplier if the item is limited stock.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i've done lots of dealings with MeanCycles.
they're excellent as far as my experience.

a few others on here have great things to say about them.

call em back and find out what's going on.
Sometimes they're restricted by the supplier if the item is limited stock.
+1.. never had any issue with them.. I do know there is sometimes a wait time for the Tsukayu products.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
from other member's experiences, i think Tsuyaku sometimes make the fairings once they've been ordered... but don't quote me on that.

so it might be a small wait. *Shrugs*

ya gotta just keep pestering the company you placed your order with.
They'll be more inclined to get you off their back by giving you all the info you need.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts