Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a japanese american in college, i find stereotypes of my race all over the place- good at math, good at driving and operating vehicles of any kind, and i always get people asking me to tutor them. i decided to bring up some GOOD points about being asian. here's the top ten!

10. During times of war, you get free outdoor housing at a local house track :roll:
9. You get people coming up to you all the time saying neat things in languages you don't speak. (i DO speak japanese, though, if anyone wants to practice)
8. If you ever commit a crime, you can get good laughs when your description is passed around (black hair, brown eyes, glasses).
7. You can be from Ohio and still be considered "exotic"
6. People mistake you for a Laundromat owner and bring you a lot of neat clothes.
5. Everyone expects you to drive like a pro.
4. There are a lot more opportunities for casting in war movies.
3. You look enough like Bruce Lee that when you get in a fight, all you have to do is squint your eyes and get into a fighting stance to scare people.
2. Everyone asks your advice on computers, cameras, carryout, VCRs, Toyotas and martial arts.
1. You can pretend you don't speak English when you're around stupid people.

Not all stereotypes are bad!

·
Registered
269 Posts
LMAO, good list. :lol:
Plus you can be selective on who you talk to, that would be the best advantage, couldn't tell ya how often I wish I could say, "Me speak only small English." , and walk off. :?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've done that, actually. since i do have an accent (i learned japanese first), even when i speak english, i have an accent. my line is, "i no supeak good englitch, i so sorry." and then make my getaway. plenty of times with punk-ass kids wanting to start trouble cos i'm on a motorcycle. "can that thing beat MY car? it's a DODGE!" and other BS like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could just call that showing off. :wink: do we have any more asian americans in the house? nihonjin wo imasen ka

·
Registered
92 Posts
In my part of the woods, being caucasian is the minority, and I find myself getting out of those same situations by saying "sorry, English only". You wouldn't believe the % of people in Miami that cannot speak a word of English. And they aren't just hispanic - there are many cultures here who can reside in their own little worlds without contact with the outside world.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i didn't make these up, but i found them, and have been asked ALL of them (even the last one). here are 10 questions that asians get asked all the time.

1. Where are you from?
2. No, really, where are you from?
3. Do you know martial arts?
4. Can you see when you smile?
5. Do you eat cats and dogs?
6. What's my name in Japanese? :roll:
7. What kind of computer should i buy?
8. Where did you learn to speak english so well?
9. Do you know how to use a fork and knife?
10. Do you know Connie Chung?

ahhh, diversity of culture. if anyone speaks japanese, i have just one word to say to these kinds of people: zakkenayo!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've tried to get to know her, but she's surprisingly elusive. every time we sit down to dinner, she'll only speak of trivial things. no, i can't honestly say in good faith that i KNOW connie chung. :lol:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
At least it's constant in your case.

My name is of Ukrainian heritage and I was born and raised in Montreal ( as was my Dad ). I was raised as a french Canadian ( mom was French Canadian ).

Now when I met people everything would be fine until they found out my family name. Then the,where are you from questions would start including the always really ignorant "what race is that" question.

When I got to school the other kids would tease ( of course ) but would just basically include me in the non french group that is to say english speaking. It has always the french against the english up here in Quebec so I would be picked on for being English in my french school and I had the additional joy of having to walk by the English school to get home, or course there I was branded the French kid.

Result is I can more than hold my own when things get physical but I did get more than my share of battle scars.

Racism is ignorance and I don't know if we'll ever get rid of it but I think it is improving.

I'm feeling better now, thanks

BTW can you get me Jackie Chan's autograph ?.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how true. i was born in tokyo, and my dad is very japanese (yes, you can be VERY japanese), and so i was raised a little traditionally. i've been doing japanese kung-fu since i was a kid (no choice, the dad enrolled me. i'm glad he did, though), and of my own accord, started gymnastics. i'm now a coach and a competing gymnast, so the two activities really complement eachother. so i do kind of fit into some real stereotypes-martial arts, etc. racism gets really bad here in louisiana-the majority is blacks, then whites, and very little of anything else. so they're not very accepting of other cultures, i'll put it like that. but i'm not worried about it. i think the cure for racism is strong family support. i came from a very loving family, so if i'd felt bad about how i'd been treated, just coming home was kind of a way to get away from it. you guys see what i'm saying? :shock: whoa, didn't mean to get so deep. this was supposed to be just about stereotypical humor. let me recover... did you know that in japan, for some reason, we call the 'green light' at stoplights 'blue'? it's actually green, just like in the US, but we say it's blue. also, at intersections at night, while waiting for the 'blue' light, as a common courtesy, the first person in the line turns off his headlights so as to not blind the driver across the street, who does the same for the first guy. cool, huh? oh, and yea, at the next "big asian get-together," i'll get jackie chan to sign an autograph, then come to your school and lecture! :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm in baton rouge, going to LSU. (SEC CHAMPS!) but i know some people going to LATech. i hear it's pretty nice up there.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
NANI?! okay, thats all I know. Oh and KUSO! (if its spelled right lmao) I watch anime in subtitles, so I'll pick somethings up every now and then. BTW, is that a ZX-12R I see? Do you ride one?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i wonder if what they say about oriental girls is true or stereotyped :twisted:

being part native american i can only say we were here first so STFU :lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

wanted to see how bad it would get

threads here are unproductive