Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I cannot think of a better place to bring this issue to. My little nephew, in his own expression of 'love' for his uncle, decided to slap a skull sticker on my bike's tank.

Now I am not unappreciative of the show of affection from the little tyke, but that thing has got to come off. Now it's proving not to be as easy to remove as say the factory caution sticker that came off months ago. What tricks or techniques do you folks have for this dilemma?

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
Is the sticker made of plastic, or paper? Plastic should peel when worked slowly and carefully, leaving a gooy residue that can usually be removed with a soft cloth, WD40 and elbow grease. Paper stickers can be removed by first peeling as much as possible and then soaking any paper left over with WD40.
If you find the glue left behind is not softened by WD40, rubbing with a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol may lift it from the surface. If you haven't washed the bike in a while, pat yourself on the back for having a film of parting agent on your surface. If your bike is a polished gem- well, now's the time to ask if you should have been riding instead.:wink:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
In this colder weather, you'll find the use of a hair drier will often help with lifting the sticker off. I've also found that peeling the sticker back towards itself, as opposed to pulling it away from the paint at a 45 degree angle seems to keep more of the adhesive on the sticker and off the tank. I prefer Goo-Gone for getting the residue off myself, but I'm sure WD-40 will work as well. I'd also suggest a wash and waxing of the area afterwards. I'm personally paranoid about what may get left behind on the paint.

·
Registered
533 Posts
goo-gone and a hairdryer/heatgun is the ez answer that I use.... do not be in a great hurry...take your time..let it soak

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have stickers to remove from appliances every day. The best way I have found to get them off with little or no trouble, heavily soak a rag with goo gone place it directly over the sticker and let sit for about 10 minutes, adding more goo gone periodically to keep the area saturated but not so much that it runs all over your bike. Remove rag, rub area gently to remove sticker residue repeat as needed.

Tim

·
Registered
823 Posts
Eucalyptus oil! Disolves the adhesive, won't harm your paint, clears your sinuses!
Christo.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Eucalyptus oil! Disolves the adhesive, won't harm your paint, clears your sinuses!
Christo.
Watch out for the koalas ganging up and trying to mug you , tho' .

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
Somebody's probably gonna come along soon and suggest peanut butter.
I've tried and it doesn't work I say !!!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
thats wrong. go to your local automotive store and buy a sticker eraser. It is a giant round rubber eraser, just like you find on a pencil but much bigger. it attaches to a electric drill. it needs to be a pretty powerful drill so you can have the high speed spinning necessary. It will completely remove the sticker and glue under it without damaging or scratching the paint in any way. once you remove it just simply wash the area to remove the marks that the rubber leave behind. good as new again works on any sticker, pinstrip, quick, easily, harmless, no chemicals needed

·
Registered
823 Posts
Took the "cheesy" flame stickers off my wife's GPX, with an old CD, combination of plastic and curvature removed the darn stuff in no time at all, and didn't even scratch the paint on the fairings, last little bits of adhesive I removed with eucalyptus oil, gave it a wash and good as gold! No harm done, [email protected] flame stickers removed, and the wifey happy!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Somebody's probably gonna come along soon and suggest peanut butter.
I've tried and it doesn't work I say !!!!
I pack my horse hooves with peanut butter! Works great!

Okay, it's an 'IN' joke. But it's still funny. :-D

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
Just leave it there. Why take it off, put there with love, leave it there...<really big grin>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts