Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the the average top speed is for the nomad 1600 and how it handles at high speeds. (not that I want to be pinning the throttle all day)

I realize that the displayed speed is off by about 10km/hr at that speed. (nothing like gps to really tell you what is going on)

Mine is being shipped as we speak... cant wait to get on it. :-D

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Just wondering what the the average top speed is for the nomad 1600 and how it handles at high speeds. (not that I want to be pinning the throttle all day)

I realize that the displayed speed is off by about 10km/hr at that speed. (nothing like gps to really tell you what is going on)

Mine is being shipped as we speak... cant wait to get on it. :-D
I think the average stock is about 110Mph indicated=178km/h....so 165km/h is probably realistic to expect as realtime top speed. If you open up the air and exhaust and do some fuel processor.....you can stretch that another 15-20km/h top speed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good to know - on my 900, it would indicate 160 going downhill with the wind at my back.

I'm always hesitant to make engine mods...

Thanks!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Theoretically or in reality?

Theoretically, 5th gear rev limiter is around 147.
Given that the V2K broke a record at Bonneville with only 138, I think we can throw that out. Also, very few vehicles have the torque to push overdrive faster than direct drive.... most vehicles will slow down when shifted from 4th to 5th... dirtbikes are an exception.

4th gear rev limiter is at about 120... I think it would be a good number to consider as "top speed"
3rd at 96
2nd at 72 (been there many times on my 1600 Classic).

Comfort? My 1600 Classic will cruise all day at 80-90.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
There is no "direct drive" in your tranny. It's all indirect.
True, but 4th is not an overdrive (by much, 0.965)... you know what I meant.
It's highly unlkely you can pull more than 5,000 rpm in 4th. At 5,000 rpm a 1600 Vulcan is already past it's HP peak.
Try it.
5000rpm in 4th is 100mph (corrected speedo).

It will do better than that.

You'll get close to the limiter in 4th, but not 5th.

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
as long as it can get to the posted speed limits fast , thats all that really matters IMO ..

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Isn't the 1600 limited to 5,500 rpm? I guess 5,000 is "close" to 5,500. If you figured correctly and 147 mph would be the limit in 5th, 110 would be the limit in 4th.

My modded 1500 MS will hit it's 6,000 rpm rev limiter in 5th, 130 mph. Different tire diameter and overall gearing than your Classic.
I've been to 6k many times in 2nd. Peak HP is at 4,700. Acceleration falls off quickly above 5k, but in 1st and 2nd, it's easy to miss the shift point.

Last summer when the cops started cracking down on pipes, I put my stockers back on and I was hitting the limiter in 2nd almost every time I got on the freeway. Scared the crap out of my wife the first time I hit it with her on the back.

Good job on the mods to get the Meanie to 130!

I pulled the numbers from a spreadsheet that calculates theoretical speeds based on gear ratios and takes the tire size into account... then verified the 1st and 2nd gear limiters with GPS and the spreadsheet is dead-on.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Edit: After a little more looking it seems the 1600's are limited to 5,750. On the non MS's they seem to stop the dyno run at ~5,500 because more is pointless.
Agreed... you're looking for peaks, as well as the curve in "usable" areas... once it starts to drop off, there's really no point in continuing beyond that.
The most important area is between peak torque and HP, but of course you don't want it low on torque leading into the peak.

5,750? I'd swear mine has been taching to 6k. It's hard to read 50rpm on the big Baron's tach, but 250 is pretty obvious.

Now I'm going to have to mount a camera on it and run it up.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I ride through the Nevada deserts often... you can see for miles ahead...no chance for the Police to hide ahead of you in the 20 inch sagebrush.....

My 1600 Nomad...with V&H Baggers and a Dragtron II intake system runs good...

I have held 110+ mph on my Nomad for 25 miles or more....dunno if the speedo is correct...but I suspect it is close enuff....

I sure do love riding in Nevada..........lotsa roads with no Cops.... Life is indeed good here in the mountains....

Slots

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great thread,...I love cranking the Nomad on but always fear some adverse damage may result. Are you guys indicating that these bikes are designed to take that type of wrist twisting without problems?

,...by the way,...RL you rock with knowledge,...rock on!!!

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
Ive been up to 110 also and always feel there is room to go. In fact it might just cruise too easily at 95mph. Nice steady ride.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I've had my speedo touch a 100 a few times. Doesn't seem to have much left, but I never seem to want to push it that hard so I let off. The weird thing with the Nad is how it "wants" to cruise around 80mph strong and long. Slower seems to lug, faster seems to strain -but with the speedo on 80mph (around 75mph GPS) it is crazy smooth and comfy. :mrgreen:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I've had my speedo touch a 100 a few times. Doesn't seem to have much left, but I never seem to want to push it that hard so I let off. The weird thing with the Nad is how it "wants" to cruise around 80mph strong and long. Slower seems to lug, faster seems to strain -but with the speedo on 80mph (around 75mph GPS) it is crazy smooth and comfy. :mrgreen:
+1
Especially with the 180/70 rear tire, it is hard to keep it right at 70 when I'm leading a group ride. It sits pretty nicely at 75, but seems most stable (WRT speed "wandering around") at 80... which is fine for my riding club but a bit quick for the forum rides.
I keep wanting to install an electronic cruise... I may do it after I finish my fairing.

I REALLY wish the "big 4" would get their *&%^ together and stop this stupid *&%^ with speedometers being intentionally set 10% fast. It's a danger on the road when a rider is afraid to keep up with traffic for fear of getting a ticket. It's MSF-101 that the safest speed is SLIGHTLY faster than the flow of traffic. In addition to being a danger, it's a pain in the butt for the ride leader on a group ride when a few relatively new riders aren't willing to keep up with the group (doing the limit), which lets cagers into the middle of the group and ultimately results in riders at the rear missing a turn.... then they complain that they didn't want to get a ticket doing "80" (actually 72).

And as the rear tire wears, the speedo error increases :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
+1
Especially with the 180/70 rear tire, it is hard to keep it right at 70 when I'm leading a group ride. It sits pretty nicely at 75, but seems most stable (WRT speed "wandering around") at 80... which is fine for my riding club but a bit quick for the forum rides...
Yea my GPS indicated 72-73mph with speedo on 80 with the stock Bridgestone Rear (170/70). I currently run the 160/80-16 E3 and when new the GPS was dead on 75mph with indicated 80 on the speedo.

Rode to Fredricksburg last year with two other riders and they complained of my speeding and trying to get them a ticket when I was in front. They are older guys who still love to ride so I tried to explain the speedo error and that my GPS was my guide to avoid tickets. So I made the effort to go slow -but it really bugs me to cruise in 4rth gear all day just to keep the bike from lugging at a real word speed of 65mph :(

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You're not "lugging" it at 65 in 5th.
+1
Above 60, the only time I downshift to 4th is when I'm on a grade (up or down) and want the extra power for acceleration or am using engine braking to control my descent (and in switchbacks I might even be in 3rd at 65).

Stock tire and corrected speedometer, 60mph in 5th is 2500 rpm. Peak torque is about 2700. For "performance" driving, you want to remain between the torque and HP peaks, or between 2700 and 4700.
At a true 60mph in 4th gear, you're spinning about 3k... a little below where you want to be for a WOT acceleration run up an onramp, but a little high for a 60mph cruise. My normal "onramp" shift pattern is to keep it in 2nd up to 65 or so, then pop to 3rd, merge into traffic, then a quick double-shift into 5th if traffic is above 55-60 and I don't see any signs of "trouble" ahead that might require a decel.

Below 60, I'll drop it into 4th unless it's just a steady cruise, but normally on the freeway, at 60 I'm either going to be slowing down, or going to be passing someone very soon.

Yes... at 75mph in 5th, you're cruising at about 3k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Enjoyed this line alot. I look forward to trying my 08 nomads limits after the breakin period. still have found the speedo at 70 when I thought doin 55 or so ,does sneak up and so smoothly ,too! Had 10" snow tuesday and calling for 2"- 4" for friday.went out and sat and idled in dry,salt free garage for 15 minutes, left when fumes started geting a little blue ,whew. Any one know what is the "rated" horsepower on the 1600 Nomad. Dealer said they will not publish for fear of kids buying for HP,horse hockey ,when they advertise the other bikes the h.p is right there with all specs. Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, about 110 GPS with the 180/70-16 rear tire and full fairing. Moves around great in the 70-90mph range but those last few miles seem like tough pushing. I think if I take off the windscreen and do the Rollie Free, then maybe 120-125 honest mph. I am planning a bike to break 200 at Maxton, NC. But that is another story with another bike.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Guys,

I dont think your looking at the big picture, see it really dont matter how fast a bike is, the ladies can only get on when its stopped!!!!!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Guys,

I dont think your looking at the big picture, see it really dont matter how fast a bike is, the ladies can only get on when its stopped!!!!!
We're thinking about keeping them on!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 99 Nomad runs up to 90 really nice. I have "creeped" up to 100, then backed-off. I don't think I had much more speed to go, but 90 (on speedo) is to me maximum "easy" crusing speed. The 1600's and fuel injected bikes probably do a little better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts