Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Step up or step aside
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made their rear blinkers double as brake lights? I've got a VN900LT and I want to make the rear blinkers come on with the tail light. Also thinking about the "back off" too. Just making sure I'm seen. Appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Some where posted in here I remember a thread from another poster that did this. There is a light modulator that you have to install to get this to happen. I'll see I can dig it up if no one else posts it first

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake controller.
It includes a brake light modulator (flash 3 times then steady), but you can disable the modulator by removing a jumper. It's about $70

The Kisan Signal Minder at about $100 is a nice gadget that can do the same, plus it adds the capability of 4-way flashers and auto-canceling turn signals, but it requires taking your turn signal switch apart and modifying it with new springs.

·
Shifted into first gear
131 Posts
I just installed (Wed) Kuryakyn R-T-B controller. Works great. As Rich noted, all 3 flash as brake lights, mine flash 4 times instead of 3, for some reason.
Read end looks better, especially if you add red deep bezels along with it.
Check PhatPerformanceparts.com for decent prices and prepaid freight.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Thought it was 3 flashes... might be 4 ;)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I use the same one Flboy posted and add a Back Off Brake modulator. Easy installs and great operation.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The Kuryakyn Running-Turn-brake light modulator will definitely light up your rear. I added a Signal Dynamics license plate QUAD light on my 900LT also and it is wired as a brake light and blinks if I have my signals activated. Order some clear lens from http://www.clearalternatives.com/ and some red bulbs from Kuryakyn.

Happy shopping.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You mean ya'll don't have 4-ways on your bikes? Wow, I thought most of the cruisers would come with them
Nope... None of the Kawi's have them.
I've noticed them on I think Suzuki. Honestly couldn't tell you on Honda or Yammi.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ya, no clue why they don't do it.
If Suzuki can do it on the S40, there's no reason it can't be on the Vulcans as well.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Some years of the EX500 do come with them. Some other years don't. Which puzzles me.

My 1995 does have a hazard switch. Apparently the 2007s don't. But the 2006s did? Its not like the EX has changed... at all. :p

Wouldn't making your orange blinkers flash while braking be illegal? I thought any brake lighting had to be red.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Wouldn't making your orange blinkers flash while braking be illegal? I thought any brake lighting had to be red.
Yes, for the conversion to be legal, you have to change the rear turn signals out to red lenses, or clear lenses with red bulbs.

The Kuryakyn Deep Dish Bezels looks nice, but they only work for the type of turn signal used on the 1600 and others that are secured by ONE screw coming in from the bottom of the housing. Other options are needed for those that use 2 screws in the face.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Some years of the EX500 do come with them. Some other years don't. Which puzzles me.

My 1995 does have a hazard switch. Apparently the 2007s don't. But the 2006s did? Its not like the EX has changed... at all. :p

05 did not come with them stock. I think with olders ones that have them, someone took the right side control box from an older ZX-6 and put it on a 500R. It was a direct plug and bolt on, and it was a mod I had been contemplating on my old 500 when I had her

1 - 19 of 19 Posts