Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jason and I am a motorcycle gear shop-a-holic. I have only owned a motorcycle since August or so, and have bought 3 jackets, 2 helmets, two pairs of armored pants, four pairs of gloves, and a pair of boots, coming to a grand total of well over a thousand dollars, even though I bought everything on closeout. Here is a summary of what I have recently purchased as a result of recent posts I have left on here, in the past month or so.

Icon Alliance helmet, ebay ~$65
I was looking for a cheap helmet that I didn't care if it got all stanky and stuff if I wore it to the gym(as opposed to my expensive HJC AC-14). I got this for a good deal, new enough claimed it retailed for about 170. When I rode with it this past weekend I wasn't happy with it's natural venting abilities, but the face shield stayed open at a crack much better than my HJC, so it worked out okay. It has some plastic piece in it that is supposed to direct your breath away from the shield, but I don't think it really helped.

Teknic Stinger Jacket, ironpony ~$100
I was looking for a waterproof jacket, neither of my other jackets are, and I am happy with this, it is heavy (shipping says 8 lbs) which makes me think it will take a beating, was really warm, fit really well, and I like the way it looks. When I rode it this weekend it wasn't raining (first time in weeks, I swear) so I can't attest to it's waterproof abilities. Is it odd that I am disappointed it wasn't raining so I could test the waterproofing? Kind of like being disappointed I didn't crash to test the pads.

FirstGear Commander Gloves, newenough ~$35
These say they are waterproof, but again, I didn't have the opportunity to test that, but they were warm at least, and cut the windchill. My last ride before this weekend I cut short because my hands were so cold they hurt after just a mile or so wearing my next warmest gloves. These also have a little squeegee built into the left hand for faceshields in the rain, which I thought was a good idea.

Alpinestar Effex Boots, ebay ~$115
These haven't arrived yet, but I bought them because they say they are waterproof, had a good review on newenough, and I saved about 100 dollars over newenoughs price. I have just been wearing Walmart purchased steel toe work boots, but decided I needed waterproof.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Admission of your problem is half the battle...

At least you're a bargain shopper.
I'd say you did pretty good piling up all that stuff for a grand.
I was at the Langlitz shop in PDX yesterday, where you can spend that much on one used leather jacket without blinking an eye...

Go Ducks!

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Well darn....your problem is contagious!!! Now you made me run over to newenough to check out those FirstGear Commander Gloves!!!! I think a squeegee built in is cool as heck!!!!!! :biggrin: :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I stop myself from buying more gear all the time. I've got 2 jackets, 2 pairs of pants, and have gone through four pairs of gloves in the 1.5 years I've been riding. I want to get a warm jacket/pants combo and actually good boots (not these stupid Red Wings) in the spring. I'd have more, but I keep stopping myself to try and save some money.

I do have a problem with luggage. I've got a tail bag, duffle bag, cooler, tank bag (that I haven't even tried on the bike as I put it away before the bike showed up), back pack, and courier/laptop bag. I seem to invent problems to justify buying new luggage.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
LOL! That's quite a list you have going! But just think that after a few years, you might have saved up for a new bike!!!
Seems like you get great deals on it... if it makes you happy keep it up! Gear is fun :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts