Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I Learned Today:

1.) Get on the bike and then carefully push it off the centerstand, don't push it from the side, especially on a slope. (Good advice when dealing with a bike much heavier and taller than what you are used to)

2.) If you are inside and dry, and a storm is coming, wait for the storm to pass before you ride. The bike will get wet either way, but riding through the storm is bad.

Boring details:

Today was supposed to be nice in the weather dept., so I jump on my ZG1000 and cruise on in to work. At lunch, I drop my bike in the parking lot taking it off the centerstand while standing next to it. The only damage was breaking the left side foot rest. I do a temp repair with a long 8mm bolt. That'll work to get me home.

A huge storm blows up outta nowhere. I head out early trying to beat the storm home, 14 miles in the direction the storm is coming from. Our combined speed gets me half way before my big bike is taking some really nasty crosswind, not to mention the hard rain. Time to pull over for a few minutes so I don't become a hood ornament on an 18 wheeler going the other way. I manage a slow shoulder trip up to a gas station where I park under the canopy and wait out the storm.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GOOD GRIEF< CHARLIE BROWN

Dang...words of wisdom...knowledge from experience...hope you are ok...and someone learns by reading your experience...ARE you and the bike both okay now?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: GOOD GRIEF< CHARLIE BROWN

ZX-2R said:
Dang...words of wisdom...knowledge from experience...hope you are ok...and someone learns by reading your experience...ARE you and the bike both okay now?
No bodily harm to myself, just stupid embarrassment. Fedex brings the new right footpeg Monday for the Concours. 8) A $36 lesson in "get on the bike, then push off the centerstand..." and a free but wet and scary lesson in "don't ride in thunderstorms with nasty crosswinds..."

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WISDOM

Hopefully people will read this and learn a valuable lesson...they won't remember the who but the results...Thank you for not being embarrassed and by sharing it...to save others from making the same mistake...Sharing IS careing when it comes to safety...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imposter said:
You must've watched the weather fantasy channel, they never get it right. :evil:
They say 0% chance of rain today. My little Suzuki got me to the office today, a great ride. 8)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Hopefully you'll remember next time, sorry to hear about dropping the bike.

I've gotten caught out in the rain sooooo many times, I forget to watch the weather!

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, that's too bad, I always sit on the bike then push forward a little, however I've found the only way I can apply my centerstand is by standing on the left side and doing the lift/push technique, my virago is about 500 and i'm only 300 so...I have learned that lesson well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts