Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

Below find a message I got from my uncle about his 550 Mule (Jumper). While I'm a technician by trade, I know NOTHING about the Mule and need your help. If anyone can lead me and him in the right direction with the problems noted, please drop me a line.

Bases on my VERY limited knowledge of these things, I suspect a possible cable mis-adjustment and maybe a diaphragm in a carb with the second issue, but I reserve the right to be completely WRONG....

If anyone knows a good tech that can help in the Dallas Ft.Worth area please let me know. He has been to the dealer, but the dealer seems less than helpful and or un-interested at best.

I work for technical/customer service at Harley-Davidson, so I have some insite as to how to get Kawasaki to help if needed. I may need to call Kawasaki customer service for help getting the dealer interested. Can anyone give me the phone number?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Randell

<<<<<<<<<<Message with concerns below>>>>>>>>>>
Jumper runs fine most of the time. But, sometimes (mostly after it has been driven a while but sometimes not, seems to be worse when it is hot out), when we start Jumper and put it in gear and push on the gas ----- nothing happens ------- we hold the gas pedal down and the engine just continues to idle and it doesn't move ------ after about 15 seconds (with the pedal held down) and especially seems to work if one of us gets out and pushes the vehicle a little bit, the engine speed sloooowly increases and it starts to move ----- then it's fine ---- no telling whether it will do it again the next time------- but it is now doing this maybe a dozen or more times a weekend. I used to think maybe it was overheating, but I'm pretty sure that is not the problem now because it now happens in mild weather even when it hasn't been driven much.

Last time we were out it also did something totally different on one
occasion. When we started off in the morning, after 20 sec. choke time
like usual and with choke off it ran fine for about 1-1/2 minutes, then the
engine seemed to run out of gas and died. We stopped, turned the key off and restarted it --------- and it ran fine for about 1-1/2 minutes, then
died again like it was out of gas. This happened four times in a row, then
it was fine the rest of the day (except for the problem in the above
paragraph, which happens quite often now).

The dealer says he can't do anything to check it unless it happens while he has it. Kawasaki says check the spark plug, carb. setting, belt tension (is belt drive), and valve adjustment. All of which I think doesn't make sense because if those were wrong it would run bad all the time, not the intermittent starting off problem we are having. Plus these are things that
should have been checked at the last scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
no go prob some times

If this was mine I would check the linkage from govenor to carb at the time it was act ing up. It could be your gov. isn' releasing the throttle.
this is a longshot but funny things happen. Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
check the fuel pump..i know that we have a mule 1000 and when the fuel pump starts acting up on it, it does the same thing. I just went to the local auto parts store and bought a low pressure 1-5 psi fuel pump becuase kawasaki wanted 240 dollars for theirs.

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Well first off the two problems are most likely not related, the first problem is the belt and the second problem you should call me Tech Jeff at 1-800-556-3098 and talk to him because we have had 550's do that before. 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
dh32811 said:
check the fuel pump..i know that we have a mule 1000 and when the fuel pump starts acting up on it, it does the same thing. I just went to the local auto parts store and bought a low pressure 1-5 psi fuel pump becuase kawasaki wanted 240 dollars for theirs.
I have a 2510 4x4 gasser and I do need a fuel pump and like you said they want over $200.00 for the one from Kaw.. can you send me the name and number of the one you bought and what you adjusted it to to get it to operate on your Mule? My email addy is "[email protected]" and please put "mule fuel pump" in the subject line so I will not delete the message!
Thank you,
Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
can you send me the name and number of the one you bought and what you adjusted it to to get it to operate on your Mule?

ever find out what fule pump??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts