Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1999 ZX6r with 11500 miles. The bike seams to make a bad rattle coming from the right side. It starts at 3500 rpms and quits when I get above 6000 rpms. I does not seem to hurt the performance but it ias very annoying. The guy I bought it from told me it needed a cam chain tensioner replaced. I carried it to the local shop and the guy behind the desk said it sounded like the guides need replacing. I have never heard of the guides. Could someone please help? Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cam chain tensioner "guides" both people are saying the same thing. You're hearing a loose chain caused by the tensioner not applying enough pressure or the guides it presses on the chain with being worn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply. would it be a better choice to replace with a factory or with an aftermarket manual?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would an automatic OEM replacement be a better choice? or would a manual APE be a better choice?

Thnaks

·
Registered
95 Posts
In my opinion the factory design would be better unless you plan to regularly race the bike. Do you want to adjust it as needed or just be quiet? Does the APE come with adjustment instruction? Are you going to have to remove the plastic to adjust the chain? Odds are the shop wouldn't even replace the tensioner, just the plastic guides since they are the part designed to wear out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ape does come with adjustment instructions. I just want the bike to be quiet and I don't plan on racing but I do ride balls to the wall a lot. Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well. I installed an APE manual cam chain tensioner. It seemed to stop the rattling noise from my engine. Thanks for everyone that replied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts