Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body have a pocket bike? They look like a lot of fun. I'm thinking about getting one to mess around on but I want to know if they're worth it. A store in my town has a couple for about $650 a piece but I think I'd rather buy one on the net cheaper. Do you think I should do it? Also, does anybody know what kind or brand I should get?

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
pocket bikes are fun, but there are many, you can buy a chinese one off ebay for about 365. or you can buy a italian one for 1.5-2 grand. they are fun, but try getting a super pocket instead, they are bigger.

Peter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 14. I don't think that's the same one as in PepBoys and you can't get them for much ceaper on eBay. This is suppose to be the largest one in the market.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Sweet, I'm 14 as well. I thought about a pocket bike for a while to, but since its not street legal and its kinda small i didn't get one, right now i'm saving for a street bike, it'll take me a while, but its worth it.

Peter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah I got a couple more questions.

Will I get in trouble if I ride it on the side of the back roads? Somewhere I heard that as long as it's under 50cc you can ride it on the sidewalk and thse are 49cc. Is this true? Does anyone know the lawsa about scooters?

Also, is there anyway I can make it quieter? I don't want to get my neighbors too made. I already have a KX85 that screams and my friend just got a pocket bike and it seems pretty loud. I just want to know how I can make it a bit less noisy.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
i know, you can't ride it on the street. in order to be riddin on the street it must be DOT cerified and can't exceed 30 MPH. i wish they had a 50CC scooter that was allowed on teh freeway, but they don't :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well around where I live, Maryland, you are able to ride them on the sides of the roads, but only local, NO HIGHWAYS or ROUTEs as far as i know.
My friend has 4 mini crotch rockets, yes FOUR. He only had TWO there when i to his house last week and one of them had a top speed of 40mph, and the other was a little bigger and maxed out at 60mph and had thicker tires, big enough to pull little tricks on.
But they ride them around here all the time, they are very un comfortable. My brother told me they move pretty quick for 50cc, but thats just what ive heard from everyone.
And they are 2 strokes, so theres not a whole lot you can do to make them much quieter, your neighbors might think they are hearing a Chain Saw untill they hear the sound moving around,lol.

If you have the extra money sitting around, why not....
But if you have to save up for a while, your just better off saving up for a dirt bike, or a motorcycle, or go cart.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it's either going to be an xr50, 95 kx125 that I can fix up, or save up for something big for in the long run like a streetbike. But first I have to sell my dirtbike and then buy a newer and bigger one. :wink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
find a yamaha ysr50. those things are sweet. and street legal, they have lights an all. there are tons of aftermarket support cause there is a whole race class for them. calamari racing makes stuff for them. and you can put a yz80 motor in it and noone the wiser:).

also the honda dealer here has started carrying small race bikes that have places for lights. they arent legal here but i think in japan they are. all 50ccs but easier to ride then a pocket bike.

people do all kinds of crazy things to ysr50s, ive seen stretched swingarms. r6 tail sections.

dont be fooled that ones not a 50 anymore. its got an rm500 motor crammed into it. there is a reason for that swingarm:).

http://goldwing.bikepics.com/yam-ysr50-90-bikepics-38335.jpg

you can pick them up cheap if you can find them. ive seen them sell for 300-500 before in good condition. also for a short time suzuki made a gsxr50 in the late 80s, probobly about the time you were born :D
pocket bikes are cool but they are pain to ride and loose their fun factor after a while.

here is the honda

it will set you back about 3500 bucks.

they also have a dohc 4 valve 4 stroke 50

both bikes are cool, the dream(4stroke) is actually faster then the ysr50(2 stroke). and also 5500 bucks

matt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts