Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

Im new to the forum, been searching all over for advice on a bike I bought today - 1984 KAWASAKI ZX 750-A2 (Its a custom chop).

Started great in the garage, hired a van to bring it home as its been snowing and it wouldnt start..

It has a choke you pull out (I havent had one like this before) and the petcock has different positions to my old suzuki, it has them at 9 o clock, 6 and 3 o clock (hope that makes sense). No markings on it so no idea which is which?!

It had power and sounded like it should start but never kicked in, does anyone have any advice on which position the fuel tap should be in and whether to use the choke all the way out?

If I have flooded it trying whats the best option?

Really appreciate any help!

Cheers

·
VN900
208 Posts
I do not have that bike or manual but the parts diagram looks pretty much the same as my ZL. If it is, then 3-run position, 6-prime (don't leave it there because it will gravity feed fuel all of the time, 9-reserve tank. At 3 & 9 fuel is not delivered without vacuum or throttle movement.

The choke is a pull out and every bike is different as far as how much to pull it out and how cold the motor is. You should be able to check it visuallly and see that it is operating all of the carbs. Hope that helps!

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
also when trying to start it with the choke on dont give it any throttle.The carbs are cv (constant vacuum) and the choke is actually a fuel enrichment so giving it choke and throttle will actually flood it.Petcock on,choke pulled up all the way and clutch in, then hit the starter!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi, Spanky, I am no expert and there are a lot of experts in the forum who can advise you better than I however, I think this is easy enough even for me. The petcock positions are: 9 o clock: reserve, 3 o clock: run, 6 o clock: prime. Don't run the engine on prime as it is full flow and will mess up things like flooding the carbs, etc. The choke is really a fuel enrichener. Mine has two settings. If you had the tap on prime, you may have flooded the engine. put it in "run" and try again. Someone else will chime in and let you know what I missed or what I said wrong...OBTW, get a manual, you'll need it.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Hi, Spanky, I am no expert and there are a lot of experts in the forum who can advise you better than I however, I think this is easy enough even for me. The petcock positions are: 9 o clock: reserve, 3 o clock: run, 6 o clock: prime. Don't run the engine on prime as it is full flow and will mess up things like flooding the carbs, etc. The choke is really a fuel enrichener. Mine has two settings. If you had the tap on prime, you may have flooded the engine. put it in "run" and try again. Someone else will chime in and let you know what I missed or what I said wrong...OBTW, get a manual, you'll need it.
Sounds right to me. The only thing I'd add would be pull the choke all the way out and turn it over until it fires. Don't give it any throttle. As the engine starts to warm up, the rpm will increase. Ease the choke in a little at a time to keep the idle down until it's warm enough to turn the choke all the way off. Since the bike is new to you, you might want to install new plugs just to be sure they aren't giving you any starting issues.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are you trying to kick start it or are you using the electric start?
A new set of spark plugs can help especially if it's been flooded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys, going to try tomorrow night after work, hopefully it'll start

Worse thing is the guy I bought it from is supposed to be sending me the documents in next few days so cant even ride it if it gets going.. (I did get full receipts from him for now, wasn't ideal but better than nothing)

Thanks again, let you know after I try tomorrow..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys, going to try tomorrow after work, get some photos as well. Dont expect too much, it only cost me 650 quid but going to be my first chop and a lot to learn!

Thanks again

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Cheers guys, going to try tomorrow after work, get some photos as well. Dont expect too much, it only cost me 650 quid but going to be my first chop and a lot to learn!

Thanks again
I have bought,restored and sold many vintage bikes,mostly suzuki's but the first thing to do is....Clean carbs check for intake leaks,look for rust in the tank, change oil,air filter and plugs,make sure you are getting the big 3, spark fuel and air.Probably a new battery too.Do a google search on buying a used bike and you will find lots of info.If done correctly you can have a very reliable machine.Expect to spend another 400 bucks on tires, battery, new fluids and carb kit.Do the work yourself and you will come to know the bike yourself.It is a very good felling once your done.This is one I bought for 600 bucks and put 15000 miles on then sold it for $2100.It was a basket case and the guy sold it because it did not run.This is an 83 suzuki GS 650L that i brought back to mint condition.Enjoy your bike!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
CV stands for constant velocity not constant vacuum
You need fuel and fire to run if the engine is good that is
first thing to check is for a good hot spark
Then make sure the fuel is fresh not 2 years old form sitting.
then check the fuel first from the supply check to see that the petcock is delivering fuel remove the fuel line to the carbs and check for fuel flow in all positions if it is a vacuum valve you'll need to apply vacuum to it to check for flow then make sure the vacuum hose is connected to the proper port on the engine
then move to the carbs

·
Registered
74 Posts
One thing I know is that they are super easy to get flooded, or at least mine is. If you are in your garage (I hope) just pull the plugs and use an air compressor to blow air in the cylinders to dry them out. Do the same to the plugs. (I ended up using a propane torch to slightly "warm" and dry each of my plugs.) Replace the plugs and start.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
yes you are right.It has been 2 years since I have worked on these carbs.cv and vm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts