Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanics,
Currently cleaning,rejetting and rebuilding carbs off an 82 750 LTD. On three of the carbs I can't seem to loosen the brass needle set screw down inside the slide. As you well know,with them being brass...it's real easy to bugger them up. I've given into the fact that the screws may end up needing replacing but I sure don't want to mess up the slides at 116.00 bucks a piece. PB Blaster hasn't had any affect at all. Thanks for some advice.
Tex

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
How long have you soaked them for? You might try some mild heat and see if that helps but I'd keep the diaphragm end submerged in water while using the heat just to be on the safe side. You should be able to pick up a used set of carbs a lot cheaper than you could buy 3 slides.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Yeah they can be buggers and they do strip out easily! Through trial and error, I finally resorted to a precision #1 phillips and then I magnetized it so I could lift and reinstall the screws. I also loosened the slide linkage on the throttle shaft to allow the screwdriver to center up directly over the screw head instead of the slight angle caused by the linkage obstruction. A small piece of wood(I use a 4 inch piece of broom stick)inserted under the slide lip to support the pressure applied to the screw driver to loosen and tighten the screws. If you do strip a screw head, you can use a "Dyna-file" bit on a Dremel or die grinder to remove the screw head, dismantle the slide assembly and using a small pair of (needle nose) vise-grips, turn out the remaining screw stud. "Piece of cake!" Its a "kitchen table" procedure. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.