Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
klr 250. after i start engin and shift into 1st gear and as i release the clutch lever, the rpms drop imediately and loose power and the engin dies. no mater how much throttle i give it, as it goes into gear it dies! bad clutch? not a huge motorcycle head, but love riding. frustrated. please help

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
When and how did this problem start? At idle in neutral does the engine sound fine and respond properly to throttle?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Side stand switch. The bike thinks the side stand is still down. It kills the ignition when the side stand is down, not in neutral and the clutch is let out. This is a safety device, if you ride away and hit the side stand it can cause an accident.

·
Registered
1 Posts
klr 250. after i start engin and shift into 1st gear and as i release the clutch lever, the rpms drop imediately and loose power and the engin dies. no mater how much throttle i give it, as it goes into gear it dies! bad clutch? not a huge motorcycle head, but love riding. frustrated. please help Bluestacks Omegle KOPlayer
Or clutch switch? Problem happens just as clutch is being released

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes you can fix it yourself. Look down by the side stand and look for a a switch with a plunger that is activated by the side stand. Follow the wires to the first connector and disconnect it. Try the bike and see if it operates normally. If not use a small wire and jumper the connector on the bike side not the switch side and try again. I don't remember which way the switch is wired for side stand up. This will tell you that it is the switch that is defective and will need to be replaced. Use a online parts site to find the correct part. It should be a simple bolt on part.

It could be a clutch safety switch, but on by Concours and Vulcan 750's it is normal operation to shut off as you let out the lever if the stand is down and in gear. The bike will run as long as the clutch lever is pulled in or in neutral. On my newer 2013 Versys the bike will shutoff any time the side stand is down and not in neutral. They took the clutch out of the circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found plunger on kickstand appeared to be bent? and rusty. lubed up, got moving. bike started working immediately. thankyou guys so much. missed riding around!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts