Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get my 1500 Vulcan ready for spring. I studded my windshield bag, and yesterday studded one of my saddle bags, and am doing the other one tomorrow. I have some before and after pics, thought I would share. I made the top of the bag to look like a HD Heritage, and did the rim around it with 1/2" studs, 1" apart. I didn't do the bottom, I guess I didn't want it too gaudy looking, but I love the classic look. I still need to do the Mustang seat, tank strap, and backrest.
Thanks for looking...
Sorry they are so small, I reduced them by trial and error. You can click on them and make them larger....

BEFORE AND AFTER

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks great, Nice work
Thanks C_law, I wish I could have gotten the pics bigger like in my original file, but it took me 45 minutes to get them small enough to be accepted. I suck at puter' stuff LOL :mrgreen:

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering if anybody else does any studwork in their bags. I am thinking of applying a bead of.
silicone on the inside along the rows, to hold moisture out. I don't know if that is needed or not.
TIA........

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey Greg

Looks good. I sure do recognize the Action Cycle storeroom. I used to go visit my bike last winter before I was able to bring it home.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Greg

Looks good. I sure do recognize the Action Cycle storeroom. I used to go visit my bike last winter before I was able to bring it home.
Thanks Ezzie...
I just got back from Act. Cyc's. Bob was in working on a bike and let me in. I have both bags finished and on the bike now, and I took off the luggage bag on the back and brought it home to work on it.
Later,

·
Registered
758 Posts
We shall look forward to seeing pictures of the completed bike. Right gang?

·
Registered
905 Posts
What size are the studs, where'd you get them, and any special tools required?
I'd like to add some concho's and fringe to my plain Saddlemen's this winter.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size are the studs, where'd you get them, and any special tools required?
I'd like to add some concho's and fringe to my plain Saddlemen's this winter.
I use 3/8"th's 1/2" and 11/16th's" studs
You can buy studs from cycle parts stores, saddlery shops, or leather crafts shops. The most common size that I use, and that are used on most saddle bags that you can purchace are the 1/2" size. I have a tool (punch) that I use when I can lay the leather out and place a piece of pine board underneath. Lots of times this can't be done. When you can't, then I use a
12" ruler, ball point pen, a "sharp" razor blade knife, a stud, and a common screw driver. First, find where you want to place your first stud, and with the pen make a small dot to mark the spot. Now, grasp a stud with your thumb and pointer finger and with the two prongs facing down, press lightly on the leather with the prongs being placed evenly on both sides of the dot. (leaving an impression) Now, take the point of your razor blade knife and place on the left or right side where you made the impression, and carefully
while applying pressure move the blade up and down until you feel it cut through (this is the critical part) be sure to cut only the desired amount, or you will see the cut if you go alittle to far. With time and practice, you will get the knack of it. At times you will slip and cut alittle longer than you wanted to, but if you do all is not lost, the stud will still stay in place but you will see the cut somewhat. After inserting the studs in the slits, turn over and take a screw driver and bend back the prongs. Be sure to get the tip of the screw driver on the very end of the prongs and with enough forse you will be able to push it deep into the leather. When done properly, you can move your hand back and forth and should never get it snagged on a prong tip. After the first stud, decide how far apart you want them. On most jobs, I like them spaced 1" apart. Each time, use your ruler to measure the distance you desire. When you measure (say you want 1 inch apart) hold the end of the ruler in the middle of the stud, and mark your next hole with the pen on the start of the 2" mark.
Practice on some leather until you get use to it, then go for the real thing.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey Greg

I would really like to stud the windshield bag...I will see if hubby can take it off for me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well you need something to do up there. In 04 it SNOWED 6" IN JUNE!!!! in Minot. In 04 we worked CP Rail from Minot to Chicago had to be in Minot March 10. Got in a white out on the way up there The news said over 300 cars & trucks in the ditch between Bismark & Minot 100 miles. While we were there went to the sport boat & travel show or what you all call it. Also went to Rugby center of North America. On the way saw well over 100 deer all together in one field playing in the snow! Only time I saw that many deer at one time. You AF? Why not Minot

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well you need something to do up there. In 04 it SNOWED 6" IN JUNE!!!! in Minot. In 04 we worked CP Rail from Minot to Chicago had to be in Minot March 10. Got in a white out on the way up there The news said over 300 cars & trucks in the ditch between Bismark & Minot 100 miles. While we were there went to the sport boat & travel show or what you all call it. Also went to Rugby center of North America. On the way saw well over 100 deer all together in one field playing in the snow! Only time I saw that many deer at one time. You AF? Why not Minot
No. got here with the AF in 72'. I was combat support in Okinawea for over 2 years, and then stationed here.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Greg

I would really like to stud the windshield bag...I will see if hubby can take it off for me.
You bet! Let me know.
See ya Ezzie.......
Oh........ I have the bike almost finished now, maybe one more night..........

·
Registered
758 Posts
On the way saw well over 100 deer all together in one field playing in the snow! Only time I saw that many deer at one time.
That's why I call it God's Country. Wide open spaces where the deer and the antelope play. I live in Minot too. Not AF though. Born and raised a Nodak ;)

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
I'm starting to get my 1500 Vulcan ready for spring. I studded my windshield bag, and yesterday studded one of my saddle bags, and am doing the other one tomorrow. I have some before and after pics, thought I would share. I made the top of the bag to look like a HD Heritage, and did the rim around it with 1/2" studs, 1" apart. I didn't do the bottom, I guess I didn't want it too gaudy looking, but I love the classic look. I still need to do the Mustang seat, tank strap, and backrest.
Thanks for looking...
Sorry they are so small, I reduced them by trial and error. You can click on them and make them larger....

BEFORE AND AFTER
Please, don't make the pictures so big...:lol:

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
better pictures....

"hopefully" these turn out alot better, I had to many attachments stored and couldn't get the pics large enough before. I have both saddle bags studded, my windshield bag, pouch on my tank protector, and my luggage rack bag. I still have seats, and backrest to do, but I'm thinking about only doing the leather flap on the "drivers" Mustang seat, and calling it quits. I think it looks alot better than when they were plain.

click on pic, then maximise for full size..............

·
Registered
758 Posts
That is one beautiful bike Greg. Thank you for letting Buzzy and I see it tonite.
I look forward to cruising with you next summer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts