Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked in the service manual and done a forum search but I have not found an answer to this question.

When adjusting the rear shock absorber on the VN900 is 1 the bottom setting and 7 the top setting?

The positions notches are stepped and I'm not sure if 1 is the high position and then it goes down to 7 or is 7 is the high position and it goes down to 1.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Yes. One is the "I don't weigh that much" setting. Seven is "Well, time to go on a diet" setting. I keep mine on the 6 setting even though I don't weigh much. But, I do ride double frequently. I have also found that the bike handles better at the higher setting. Little more stiff when hitting bumps, but, I try to avoid those.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Yes. One is the "I don't weigh that much" setting. Seven is "Well, time to go on a diet" setting. I keep mine on the 6 setting even though I don't weigh much. But, I do ride double frequently. I have also found that the bike handles better at the higher setting. Little more stiff when hitting bumps, but, I try to avoid those.
lol.... never thought of describing it like that. Like you I keep it on 6. Its a bit stiff alone but good when I put my daughter on back.

In a nut shell you're adjusting preload. More preload=stiffer shocks. 7 is the stiffest and 1 the softest.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
As you crank it toward "A", it's pushing down on the spring - making the spring push back harder, making the ride stiffer.

So, yes, toward "A" is stiffer, "7", and toward "B" is softer, "1".

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
you are correct. 1 is little compression and 7 is the most as in your picture. Get the bikes rear tire off the ground or you won't be able to move it.

I'm at 6 at 290 pounds but I have extra cush with a car tire at 31 pounds. Too little pre load with a big rider will make the rear end feel lke you have a flat. Too stiff and you'll feel every grain of the asphalt AND could be a bit bouncy like a 1 ton pickup with no load in it.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
mine's on 5 because i can't get it to go to 6. I got it to 5 ok from the stock 4...

i get sooo close to wrenching it to 6, and then the wrench slips, the spring springs back and my hand slams into the frame taking out chunks of skin.... so i've given up.

it's easier to lose weight. :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Adjusted my preload from 4 to 5 just to compensate for the squirreliness of the front end and bottoming out on the back end. Was an easy adjustment and just threw on my motorcycle gloves to lessen the bashing should the wrench slip... worked like a charm. Picked the wrench end that fit the best which seemed to be the one with the shorter grab also bent the wrench just a tad to compensate for the angle which leads to the slippage if too straight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you connect the 2 'C' wrench handles end to end with the supplied connector, you have now increased your leverage and adjustment is easy. Its been a while, but I don't remember losing skin on this one....

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
If you connect the 2 'C' wrench handles end to end with the supplied connector, you have now increased your leverage and adjustment is easy. Its been a while, but I don't remember losing skin on this one....
yup... i did that :confused:

i gave up and can't say the ride is bad at all.
i'm hardly a heavy bloke.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Its that easy??? I will try this soon. Mine is a little stiff at the factory setting so will go down to 3 or 2. I do 2up often but even at the factory setting I have never bottom out the bike. I'm exited now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts