Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:razz: Hey everyone
Random question. I know a bike has a lot of electronics and its entire engine exposed. Whats the best way to wash my ninja? Can it be sprayed with a hose? Wipe it down with a cloth? What kind of cleaner? Thank for your responses. Happy Turkey Day :razz:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
What ever you do, do not use one of those high pressure hoses. I can't even remember the number of threads that have been started by people who said that they did that and had a bike that didnt run after.

You can run the garden hose on it (don't use a nozzle or your finger to make the spray stronger) but people have suggested that you cover the exhaust, try to not spray water on parts of the engine that you can't wipe down and other "common sense" stuff. Remember, the manufacturer's know that bikes are ridden in the rain so they are fairly robust--but they're not waterproof.

In short, buy a can of Plexus and just use that for just about any plastic/painted part on the bike. Use WD-40 on a rag to clean the rims and use a chain cleaner/lubricant for the chain. If you have a lot of grime on some parts, get a toothbrush and spray WD-40 on it to get into the tight areas.

I've had my Z1000 for almost two years now and it's never had a drop of water on it to clean it.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
I've been washing mine (mostly at the local car wash via high pressure hose) for 29 years. You just have to use common sense when you do it. Don't stick the tip of the sprayer right up next to anything. Keep it at a distance for the most part. I normally soap mine down then use a rag give it a good rub and then rinse. In all the years I've owned it, it's only failed to start or run right 2 different times as a result of washing. In both cases it was due to aged plug wires allowing water to get into the boot/plug cap. Pulling each one off and blowing the water out took care of it in both cases.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Bikes can be ridden in a torrential downpours...dousing it with water isn't going to hurt anything. Now I do agree, spraying it with a high pressure hose will force water in places it shouldn't be (unless you keep your distance as was mentioned earlier). I wash my bike like I hand wash my cars: running water out of a garden hose (no nozzle), clean rag, automotive soap, and a dry towel...soak the area you want to clean, clean it, rinse it, move on to the next spot...when finished, dry it. Afterwards, turn the engine on, and let it evaporate any water you couldn't get by hand.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
What ever you do, do not use one of those high pressure hoses. I can't even remember the number of threads that have been started by people who said that they did that and had a bike that didnt run after.

You can run the garden hose on it (don't use a nozzle or your finger to make the spray stronger) but people have suggested that you cover the exhaust, try to not spray water on parts of the engine that you can't wipe down and other "common sense" stuff. Remember, the manufacturer's know that bikes are ridden in the rain so they are fairly robust--but they're not waterproof.

In short, buy a can of Plexus and just use that for just about any plastic/painted part on the bike. Use WD-40 on a rag to clean the rims and use a chain cleaner/lubricant for the chain. If you have a lot of grime on some parts, get a toothbrush and spray WD-40 on it to get into the tight areas.

I've had my Z1000 for almost two years now and it's never had a drop of water on it to clean it.
Learned that one the hard way. Was out quadding with the kids and when we got home, washing the bikes / quads was part of the day, so I got the kids started washing and went to grab something out of the garage, come out, and here's my son with the hose jammed in the exhaust! He said it was muddy and he was washing it! :mrgreen: That's when I started using those exhaust plugs. :wink:

BTW, no harm done to the quad, just started it up and it shot water out the exhaust for a bit, which the kids thought was pretty cool as well. I bet they did that on their own when I wasn't around. :biggrin:

Some bikes are known to be finicky around water, the cure for that is to use some dielectric grease on *all* your electrical connections, no more water/moisture problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
do NOT use WD40 on your PAINTED rims! The new Ninja has black rims that have clearcoat over the paint. I use Simple Green directly on the rims to get rid of all that grease.
But I have only washed my bike once in almost 2 years. I keep it covered and will do a detail clean with some Mequire's detail spray whenever I see enough mud and dirt under the seat or bugs on the front fairing.
I use microfiber towels and the bike looks pretty much the same as it did when new!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
do NOT use WD40 on your PAINTED rims! The new Ninja has black rims that have clearcoat over the paint. I use Simple Green directly on the rims to get rid of all that grease.
But I have only washed my bike once in almost 2 years. I keep it covered and will do a detail clean with some Mequire's detail spray whenever I see enough mud and dirt under the seat or bugs on the front fairing.
I use microfiber towels and the bike looks pretty much the same as it did when new!
Same here. Simple Green on chrome rims followed by that original Honda spray polish and cleaner works for me. When I do wash mine I use the garden hose and Dawn (someone told me Dawn isn't good for the paint, but I haven't seen any problems). I avoid spraying into electrical parts. I let the engine run for a few minutes, blow off excess water with a leaf blower, then take it for a short ride to get rid of excesss water, then finish drying it. Next the chain is cleaned and lubed.
The wife won't let me have girls over to wash it for me.:frown:

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
What's wrong with WD40 on paint? I've always used it to remove decals from the tank etc. and don't see how it would affect/hurt painted rims. :confused: I've been using it ever since we had bikes to clean rims, spokes, cast wheels. I also use Simple Green and WD40 interchangeably, what ever is handiest at cleaning time. I just try to be very careful to never get either near the wheel hubs and bearings etc.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Some BRITISH bikes are known to be finicky around water, the cure for that is to use some dielectric grease on *all* your electrical connections, no more water/moisture problems.
Fixed it for you.....:wink:

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I've been washing mine (mostly at the local car wash via high pressure hose) for 29 years. You just have to use common sense when you do it. Don't stick the tip of the sprayer right up next to anything. Keep it at a distance for the most part. I normally soap mine down then use a rag give it a good rub and then rinse. In all the years I've owned it, it's only failed to start or run right 2 different times as a result of washing. In both cases it was due to aged plug wires allowing water to get into the boot/plug cap. Pulling each one off and blowing the water out took care of it in both cases.
Wow dude you are old. :wink:

I have used the car wash wand without a hitch. I know where to spray and where not to. But I only go there if it gets really grimey. I have also taken greasy parts like valve covers and heads to the carwash to blast. You got to be careful where you stand and how you spray if you do not want to be spotted with grease. Or wear some old coveralls, head cover and goggles. And the lightweight parts you better anchor down somehow because they will move.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Garden hose,with nozzle fitted and a bucket of suds(Meguires car wash soap) and a wash mit, 2 actually as one is only used on the rims.

If the bike has just been out for a run I wait until it has cooled for about a 1/2 hour min. I hose it down to get loose dust etc off, being careful not to blast too much water around sensitive areas, namely the instrument clusters, carbs and seat areas. With clean wash mit and suds I start from the top down doing the whole bike. Rinse off then clean the wheels with the old mit. Rinse again and shammy dry as much as I can get and then blow dry calipers, controls, foot pegs, linkages etc etc with an air nozzle from my compressor. I do use an exhaust plug in my ZX, I don't for my ZRX or the KZ, regardless, I start them and run them for about 5 mins or more to get heat in the exhaust and engine. If the bike isn't going out again, I'll put them on a paddock stand and spin the rear wheel while using the air nozzle on the chain to blow the water out of the links. I keep my chains well lubed so I don't always lube it after a wash.

Sometimes I just take a dampened cloth to them if they aren't that dirty. I clean the wheels(onh the Rex and Ninja) with WD40 or Pledge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Use Pledge (lemon scent if you want). Call me crazy, but it works great. Takes bugs of my wind screen and removes water spots with little elbow grease. I have been using it for years. Now here is the part where people will tell me why I shouldn't and some 100 dollar product that is better. Use what you like and enjoy the ride!

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Use Pledge (lemon scent if you want). Call me crazy, but it works great. Takes bugs of my wind screen and removes water spots with little elbow grease. I have been using it for years. Now here is the part where people will tell me why I shouldn't and some 100 dollar product that is better. Use what you like and enjoy the ride!
Pledge is good but takes a little more elbow grease to "polish", it tends to streak. S100 Detail and Polish, or Honda Polish both work better with less polishing required. They both use bees wax. I don't mind spending the extra on those cause a can lasts years, but you're right they cost 2-3 times as much as Pledge. Used Pledge for years, especially on my visors, until I tried the S100 and just like it better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.