Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 50* out, light rain & between a 25-30 mph wind. Put on about 30 miles with 25 of them being to many :oops:

Bout froze my tail off, but had fun 8)

Found out the bike won't go more than 82-84 into a 25-30 MPH head wind in 5th gear wide open over a 2-3 mile strech hauling my fat azz around :shock: However, once that headwind became a tail wind wooooo weeeee the bike would fly :lol: Ran it up and down from 60mph to 100 giving it a chance to break in at different RPM ranges. This is the 1st time it's been on the highway for more than a couple min & she's a sweet ride. My only complaint is that in 5th gear with a head wind she runs out of power to quick. I'm sure if I'd have put her in 4th she would run way better, but I just wanted to see what she would do in road gear with a stiff (normal for around here) headwind.

I've got a pair of leather Aerostich Elkskin Ropers & while they ain't the best fitting glove I've ever worn they kept my fingers warm. In cloth gloves I wear a 10-11 (I have been wearing Hatch SOG-L 100 Operator Tactical Glove's (Kevlar & Goatskin) and for a warm day they are excellent gloves but in leather I wear a XL as my hand's are wide with short stubby fingers & a smaller leather glove does not fit. The XL roper is a tad big in width & the fingers are way long compared to other leather XL gloves I have they kept the hands dry and suprisingly warm. However, it's sort of a pain to use the controls. Will see how they work after breaking them in more (soaked them in water twice & they shrunk a tad for a better fit)

Now the AVG Areo Sport jacket was not very warm at all, but considering it's a mesh jacket built more for protection & keeping you cool what can one expect. However, with the rain linning installed it did a suprising job of keeping everything but my chest warm & dry. It wsa lightly raining but I never got so much as a drop of water anyplace covered by the jacket. I should have put on a heavy sweatshirt or something to help insulate the chest as that's where I got really cold with the wind hitting me full force on the chest.

I've also got to get some kind of lower body protection (chaps possibly) as my legs were soaking & the knees were almost frozen solid. It really sucks having wet Wranglers as the cotton fabric is not conductive to any kind of warmth when wet.

However, my feet were nice and dry/warm as I was wearing a pair of Danner Fire Line wildland boots & they are some of the best boots on the market today.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIGHT MOTOR

Hopefully getting some miles on her (the bike)....Will loosen her up some...(woah) anyway, I wouldn't worry about it yet till you get her loose and get some nice synthetic in her system and you have a windscreen to get the airflow to move over you instead of tryin g to go through you. I'd help you by offerin ga small fee for your bike so that you could buy a larger one...but I dare not insult a fellow Veteran, with a miniscule amount of debt owed...Really I think tha tonce you get the tight engine broken in you will see a big difference. When I had my truck engine rebuilt, they built it rather tight and I am not supposed to run synthetic ol in it yet...when I left the shop I could barely get the thing to do 55MPH, with out the temp rising...I was VERY concerned! Anyway to make a long story shorter...It runs great now and will not heat up and it will get to the 85 mark if I want it to...but I have 5.72 or 5.73 gears in it so I'm almost what would have been the old redline before everything was balanced and put back toghether very accurately...sweat not...and should the bike not want to run any faster...hey it's tryin gto tell you 75 is as fast as you are supposed to go... but te dealer could take a look at it...and ....oh...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
RampRat - Thanks for sharing the info on your riding gear. I got a pair of chaps in early spring and they were great! I've never owned a pair before and boy, could I have used them on some fall rides I took last year!! Well now I got 'em!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, those fall rides in Wisconsin..... love 'em. I always wear my 600 gram thinsulate hunting shoes from Sept. 1 thru Oct. 1, then go to the 1000gram units. You know, I've been thinking of getting some of Cabela's windproof, waterproof, insulated bibs intended for cold weather fishing. I think I would use them spring and fall, I suppose about 1/2 of our riding season...... :x

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of chaps did you get & did you get them on line or not.

I'm still looking around for a SH leather jacket & possibly some chaps. Don't want to get burnt getting cheap leather & figgure you get what you pay for but am trying to find a good brand of biker leather to go with instead of the cheaper thin leather you find in so many stores & on line.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
x-wing said:
Yeah, those fall rides in Wisconsin..... love 'em. I always wear my 600 gram thinsulate hunting shoes from Sept. 1 thru Oct. 1, then go to the 1000gram units. You know, I've been thinking of getting some of Cabela's windproof, waterproof, insulated bibs intended for cold weather fishing. I think I would use them spring and fall, I suppose about 1/2 of our riding season...... :x
I've got a couple pairs of issue Danner Ft Lewis thinsulated boots that will be my cold weather boot. Did I mention I really like Danner boots :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been hearing excellent things about Belstaff (wax cotton) http://www.belstaff.com/usa_home.html as far as winter/cold ridding clothing & e-mailed them for a catalouge.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Goretex

Goretex anything is great from the thin light stuff to the great outdoors, with down filled you can't go wrong with the stuff. Thinsulate gloves now have goretex, and you can get snowmobile bibs with thinsulate...now would be a great time to buy them if you can find it...besides being -12F on the thermo and having widn taking thigs well below-50F where even hot water turns to steam before it hits the ground (COLD) the goretex is great. I need to find some for my feet and I know that AAFES carries it in their military clothing section. I just havent had the money yet...and I have about 6 pair of boots...the wife doesn't think I need another pair...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZX-2R, One year when I was stationed in the misile fields of North Dakota we got hit with the blizzard from heck.

It dropped to -120F (with wind chill) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I took a glass of water & threw it up into the wind & it never hit ground :eek:

It was so cold inside that I had 2 pairs of long john's on, the issue bear suit (real thick heavy warm liners for the issue goretex and was using a extreme cold weather sleeping bag as a blanket with 2 electric heaters running full blast under the sleeping bag trying to keep warm. Now this was while I was on duty not in bed :D

I had a glass of water in my office and took a pencil kept breaking the ice in the glass as it formed. Yep, it was so cold insidethe bulding that my water kept freezing solid as I was playing with it :lol: :lol:

GOrtex is great stuff for blocking the wind & keeping water off you. However, it melts when it get's hot & if you wear it on a bike & dump the bike it will not provide any protection unless it's sandwitched between something protecting it.

I had a wax cotton duster with a wool liner (it's worn out & the duster I have now does not have the wool liner) . That duster kept me warmer than the military cold weather gear did.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
RampRat

I was just thinking wow it might look to cars bikes following if you did go down...all those feathers flying all over...Thank God we don't get that cold down here. I wsn't talking about wearing only the Gortex though, just on the outside...Even in Kansas when I'm out in the cold for some insame reason I wear my flannel lined heavy cotton (GAP?) jeans and several layers under my jacket...IF it was going to be that cold though I'd just take the car...I just can't stand the cold Like I used to in Alaska...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts