Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't gonna post this, but then decided we have a lot of new riders, and you learn from other peoples mistakes.

I put the thread on the group ride up............but after was an experience.

I was going down the highway in the second lane of a 4 lane. I looked over and saw a white p/u truck barreling down the on ramp. It was one of those thing where you know he will be a moron.........so I let up a little to not deal with him.

sure enough, he shot right across the first lane, and the second headed straight for the third. Unfortunately a car in the 4th lane was moving into the third and they side swiped each other.

The car went off into wall, the p/u headed back to the second lane and hit the tail end of another car ( like a pit manuver). The car veered left, because it was hit, the truck kept spinning until it was backwards. They ended up basically straddling the 1st and 2nd lanes.

all this happened about 25 feet in front of me. I over reacted and locked my brakes up going into a skid, the bike fish tailed, I let off the brakes when I realized I couldnt make it ( but I did bleed off speed).

I gunned the engine instead ( remember MSF where they drilled into you about down shifting ? ) I was in a lower gear already, so I headed to where the truck was ( it was still moving).

I missed the back end of the truck by almost nothing, close enough my knee banged it, but I was able to shoot the gap.

was this superior riding that saved me.................nope, superior would mean I was never in the situation in the first place

loud pipes weren't a help...........horn either. But I know what I did wrong, thats what I wanted to share with the newer riders.

Things I Did Wrong

1) I lost situational awareness
Yes I saw the truck, and realized the hazard, but i had just finished a group ride where my senses were full throttle, I was a little tired,and relaxed way too much

2) I let the cold in
I was wearing chaps and full leather jacket, but I had my half helmet and half gloves on, so my joints and stuff were cold, and actually slower reacting. It probably also slowed my mind. I should have dressed warmer, but my warm clothes were soaked from a rain ride the night before

3) I over reacted on the brake
I believe this was actually due to my fingers gripping, but being cold weren't doing what I wanted

4) I was going too **** fast for the traffic...yeah I said it, I F'ed that one up
Things I did right

1) I did realize the problem with the truck before it happened..........and instead of being a bone head, I backed off

2) I did not lay the bike down.........laying the bike down to avoid a collision I believe is the biggest load of BS there is. You either over react and lose control, or you bleed off speed to help have the collision at lower speeds

3) I headed straight for the last known position of the accident..........accidents usually are in the process of moving, if you cant stop in time, you head for it because it usually wont be there then

4) Practice..........I have practiced panic braking in parking lots many times, with teh down shift technique. SO when I fish tailed, it didn't panic me, plus when I hit the throttle, I was in a low enough gear for the engine to work

5) counter steering ..........another thing I practice at different speeds, I get some time on the highways where traffic is very light, I use the to practice swerving.
over all, I got very lucky, if this had happened a year ago, I dont think I would be alive. My point is, we bag on the sportie guys about stunting, yet they go places and practice handeling the bike that way............very rarely do I see the cruiser set in parking lots practicing skills.

Experience was a help......but I never should have let myself get into that position, a little coffee, or pulling off and putting on my cheapie full fingered gloves may have made a difference.

Overall, my part in this was caused by being very lax

·
Registered
167 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt. It's generous of you to share what was a potential dissasterand your escape,I hope the youngsters listen and learn.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Glad you're OK. You were thinking, and that's what saved you.

So when are going to buy a full face helmet?! You may not be purty, but your heads important!

·
Post 340 Riders
107 Posts
So after reading all that I'm still left wondering, when did you walk over to the P/U truck and put a .45 chunk of lead between the drivers eye balls?

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Geez, Mark ... Sure glad you skated past all that without getting banged up.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
^^^Ditto on A2!! Glad you weren't hurt & thanks big time for sharing!!

This is a good post for new riders to read about a half dozen times! Thanks for the critique! :biggrin: 8)

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, I got lucky today, a second less time for me to react............and splat.

the absolute biggest mistake was the loss of situational awareness, I was almost day dreaming, thinking about work, where to take the girls for dinner...........everything but keeping my mind on where I was.

I think I took it as, group ride is over, riding is done..............

I alwasy read about guys getting into the most wrecks on the return ride home from a group ride, now I see how it can happen

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after reading all that I'm still left wondering, when did you walk over to the P/U truck and put a .45 chunk of lead between the drivers eye balls?
unfortunately, I didnt even think about it, once past them, I just kept riding......it wasnt until I got home I realized I left the scene of an accident..

I called the highway patrol, and let them know what happened, told them I was in shock or something. They were cool,said they had 9 million witnesses to the trucks eratic behavior.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you're OK. You were thinking, and that's what saved you.

So when are going to buy a full face helmet?! You may not be purty, but your heads important!
I have a full face, wore it last night in the rain.........kept my face dry.

actually, I wear it in bad weather, or days I have to ride, but feel funky for one reason or another, and almost always for night riding.

actually yesterday, I was in full leather and FF

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Glad that you are ok and alive. How's the knee you indicated you hit it a little?

Thanks for sharing this, for myself who isn't a new ride, it is a reminder of how important it is to focus on the one and only task at hand and that is the ride.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I'm just glad it all worked out, and you are around to post this so others can learn from it. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
This might sound funny, but I'm glad this happened to you.

This situation helped you become a better, more aware rider. In turn, your sharing of this experience has made me a better and more aware rider.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I headed straight for the last known position of the accident..........accidents usually are in the process of moving, if you cant stop in time, you head for it because it usually wont be there then
My God that is brilliant. I'd have never thought to do that in a million years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm really glad you made it out okay. Thanks for sharing. I know it's not easy to admit when you do things wrong, but I'm glad you were honest about what you did right and what you didn't do so well.

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
3) I headed straight for the last known position of the accident..........accidents usually are in the process of moving, if you cant stop in time, you head for it because it usually wont be there then
"My God that is brilliant. I'd have never thought to do that in a million years."

remember the movie Days of Thunder, when "Cole" asks what happened....that the rule is that you go straight for it?? Same thing.

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
Glad to see you're OK, admitting mistakes at all is what makes us all the more better for it. The guy (or gal) that thinks they're 100% right and every one else is wrong will surly be in for repeated issues, and they may not get to repeat them too often.

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
Wow, Mark, sorry to see this, and yet, like Kevin said, I'm also glad to read about it.

You gave some pretty good details, and that helps. This kind of post is what the forums are all about. Sharing information to help other people.

It's a good reminder to the riders, both new and experienced to keep their heads on when they are riding. I find myself often drifting to thoughts about work when I'm on my way to/from work when there are lots of things going on. I know that's not the wisest thing to do, but that's often what I find. I have to make a conscious effort to get my mind back on the ride in those cases, and let me tell you, sometimes that ain't easy.

I'm glad you came out of that unhamred. Like you said, you were lucky.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts