Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Take it to the Limit
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, anyone telll me why KAWI puts a Subthrottle on the 900? I have heard it was designed to smooth out the throttle response, but I removed the butterflies and it seems more responsive.. Any tech savy forum members tell me why

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I believe that for the average rider it will smooth out transitions, kind of an airflow regulator if you will. You put full demand on the throttle and it opens up the inner butterflies as the engine rpms come up in a linear function so you don't throw more air and fuel at the cylinders than they actually can use at the time.

Or something like that. Full time romp and go throttle jockeys probably would rather they not be in there. The rest of the riders probably only notice the difference when the carbon builds up around them between filter changes.

There are plenty of auto functions on a modern engine that aren't on a basic one and for the most part they do their bit. I had an ElCamino once that the auto timing advance on the distributor was worn out. Now, going to a junkyard, dropping the 75 bucks on a different, used distributor would have been the correct fix but what I did instead was just plug off the vacuum hose and adjust the timing ahead for summers and back for winters. Starting would be a little tougher in the summer but it really picked up the launch of the line (well, for as much as a 305 in the Camino could do) In the winter I'd retard it so it would start easy. On a correctly operating engine though all that would be automatic.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
left in the V2K, def pulled from ZX14, but if you do, you need a PC3 to remap lean conditions...trying to experiment with pulling on v2k and remap, summer project...

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I've thought that my new V2K has incredible throttle response compared to my 900. I'm having to learn to steady out my wrist.

I think it's because, before, 10-degrees of twist added 5 HP where now 10-degrees of twist gives me 15 HP (just making up numbers) . I'm trying hard not to rear-end anybody.

·
Registered
161 Posts
V2K_CCTX,when you remove the butterflys, down load the power commander accelerator pump utility,that gets rid of the lean-out condition

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
is that for the V2K, my ZX14 is super mapped custom

·
Registered
161 Posts
V2K_CCTX,it's for he V2K. When you remove then, unless you ease the throttle on, it usually stumbles, just a lean out condition. The fuel pump utility just adds the temporary shot of fuel. When I get my bike back together, I can check and see what settings I'm on.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
AWESOME thanks ... i have my V2K with Muzzy longshot drag pipes and the ProR hypercharger with tthe PC3 and a custom map...

I can check with Fuel Moto USA and see if they now have a may for pulled flies on the V2K ... they provide lifelong support for maps...

i would appreciate seeing what your settings are

·
Registered
161 Posts
V2K_CCTX, My bikes an 04 V2K I've got Powershots, custom intake, Fifth gear cheat mod and also have a custom tune. Chassis wise, 2" lowered rear, 1" lowered front , 225/50/16 Toyo Proxy,57 tooth billet pulley, Polished rear brake rotor, ton of "little" extras I'll hook my bike up this weekend and pull the file. Do you want to try my tune?, I can email it to you.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
yes please will pm my email address...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts