Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -

Am starting my planning for a next June ride starting in Missoula, heading north and west to Vancouver BC, then down the WA/OR coast to CA. The MT/BC/WA and OR segments are known territories. But I could use some suggestions on the enjoyable cruiser routes for riding down through CA to as far south as around San Fran or so, and then heading back up through Nevada and Idaho to Montana. Would like to take in the Redwoods, Yosemite, other areas of beauty if possible. I had a good forum suggestion to take Highway 6 back up which looks like it should link me with Hwy 93 into MT. Any other thoughts on rural routes, places to see, stay, stop and enjoy? I might reverse the route to allow the weather to warm up a bit in the north country and hit S. CA before it gets too hot. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks! M

·
the "fun" guy
32,858 Posts
Mike, if and when you begin this trip let me know. If you plan on heading this way I may be able to ride some with you. I usually save my vacation time for Red Lodge in July so it's not likely I could do the entire route with you...as much as I'd love to! :)

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Look for Hwy #3 in BC. It runs west to east along the entire southern part of BC. By far my favorite BC highway. You could easily ride north and pick it up somewhere in the East Kootenays....and it will take you all the way to Vancouver.

Personally, I'd try to find a way around the Vancouver / Seattle area. Their are a number of routes that can dump you out around Astoria (at the mouth of the Columbia), or try to route yourself thur the Olympic Natl. Forest. Either way, making sure a trip over the Astoria bridge is on your list. From there, heading along the Oregon Coastline is spectacular.

Make sure you let us know if you take Hwy#3 as it passes by our neighbourhood. We have a warm bed, and cold beer to offer and/or a couple willing riding partners for a short distance if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Mike, that sounds like a fantastic ride. If you are on the Olympic's side of the sound let me know and I might be able to join you for a bit, 101 on the west side of the Hood Canal and then into Olympic National Park is a great ride. Also I have a guest room you are more than welcomed to. I hope we also get to spend some time this summer at Red Lodge together.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
I would highly highly HIGHLY recommend riding Highway 1 in California. You will meet up with it about 80 miles south of Eureka, CA, and will bring you back to 101 just north of the Golden Gate bridge. I rode this stretch this past Sept. and it was absolutely amazing! The scenery is phenomenal. Just don't plan on riding too fast. There are a lot of twisties to enjoy, but there is also a fair bit of traffic and the cars tend to go slow and pile up. I think I averaged somewhere around 35 MPH along this stretch. But if you focus on the scenery, you will not be disappointed at all!

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Picasa Web Albums - sboone2642 - VMworld 2009

Some pictures of my ride. I started in Missoula and headed out Highway 12. I then went down 95 south towards Jordan Valley, OR and Winnemucca, NV. I cut south through Fallon, NV and headed down to Yosemite park. From there, I went to Monterey and up to San Francisco. I had to attend a conference in San Fran, so that took up a few days, but from there, I headed up the coast, into Washington and then back home. It was an absolutely amazing trip, and if you get to cover some of these roads, you will have an awesome time.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Well supposing my bike is rebuilt by then I can show you guys through Stanley Park and up through lower Marine Drive in North Van, It's nice and curvy and has a pretty nice view at the end (and along the way)! Supposing my bike is working and I can get the time of work I might as well join you for a while!

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Make sure you ride around Spoks neighborhood. Mt Vernon, Washington down Whidbey Island (stop at Deception Pass). Over to Port Angeles and down 101. Down 101 through Oregon is spectacular. If you can figure a route to take 199 (Redwood Hwy) out of Grants Pass over to the coast, that is beautiful, and a great twisty road, too.

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Cary, and I look forward to it. We'll do some mapping out of routes between now and then the next time I get over your way, if not before! Would love the company for whatever segment you could ride!

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent input and offers you guys!!! With Thanksgiving break starting up Wednesday for me (life as an educator), I'll have my maps out, Google map opened up, and be starting my plan of attack on what sounds like will be a VERY scenic trip with some outstanding company along the way.

Dittos on the offers to stay if you get up Missoula way. Beware the dog, though - just ask Cary, Roger and Jeff . . . an absolutely ferocious golden retriever. :)

Roger - how the heck are you out there? On for Red Lodge coming up this next summer? Promise, I'll skip the pneumonia this time and see if I can't get farther along with all of you than just Anaconda. :)

Thanks all of you and I'll be following up with questions, no doubt! Happy Turkey Day! M

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for sharing the photos, Stickboy! Looks like it was quite the ride - smoke, cheese plants, surf, sun and rock climbing opportunities galore. :) Am looking forward to my trip already!

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Hey Mike, if you make it as far south as Monterey, you might want to take a day trip and ride on down Hwy 1 a little further to San Simion and check out Hearst Castle. If your into wildlife check out the elephant seal haulout area just north of there, and the aquarium in Monterey.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
I concur on the Monterey trip. I met the coast at Monterey and stayed there, then rode up to San Francisco. It's a pretty cool city. I got to see the aquarium and it's pretty amazing. Maybe next year I will ride back down that way and head south. Would be a fun trip I bet.

·
the "fun" guy
32,858 Posts
Sounds good, Mike.

If and when you begin your ride you might consider riding highway 12 to Lewiston. In nice weather riding it's a great scenic ride with the river alongside the highway. I think you've ridden 12 before but in the rain on your way home last summer?

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
The Oregon coast along much of Hwy. 101 has a lot of spectacular sights. It can be slow going at times during summer because it's mostly two-lane with occasional passing lanes going up grades, and there are lots of tourists. Maybe plan on taking it so that you can pull off the road at scenic spots, since a lot of the sights aren't visible directly from the highway. Also, after you cross the Golden Gate Bridge heading south, Highway 1 is a great ride along the seacoast, also a bit slow in spots because of tourists but again there is a lot of spectacular scenery and for some of it you're literally riding along the sides of cliffs with sharp dropoffs to the ocean.

·
Always Learning
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scouting out this trip with your folks' input has been a nice distraction to the cold, rainy weather we're currently having. Thank you for the ongoing tips and input! Yuppers, Cary, a VERY rainy time along Hwy 12 and between Joseph and Missoula last spring. Excellent way to find out what wet weather gear works and doesn't work during an 8 hour ride of steady rain, mists and spray from other vehicles. Not the best viewing experience but a great one to put under the belt for bad weather experience riding. :)

Hope Turkey Day treated all of you well! M

·
the "fun" guy
32,858 Posts
Mike, the next time you get to ride highway 12 I hope it's a beautiful day and you'll be able to experience just how beautiful it is. Possibly we'll be able to ride it together when you begin your summer vacation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.