Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

suggestions plz

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  jonesie619 
#1 ·
anybody have any suggestions on a good bike for a semi-noob?(i use to have 2 dirt bikes so i have some sort of experience on a bike) im only 5'2 and female.
i used to drive a honda XR80F,which if I remember correctly weighed about 150-160 lbs. and the other i had was a 150 so that was probably over 200lbs.
So for my first bike I def dont need or want something 600lbs+ and super fast seeing as how im only 5'2. any suggestions?

#5 ·
re

i don't think you'd look like a joke-i know several girls your size riding 500's and 650's
cruiser bikes-but like jonesie i'd say used 250 for sport riding
yea and where at in NC ? i was born a tarheel and surfed the outer banks all my teenage years :wink:

#7 ·
re

born in durham n.c but lived in nags head growing up-surfed from kitty hawk to okcracoke
most of the time-but the lighthouse at the point was my fav. spot -awesome waves
used to go up to va.beach in the summer to surf the east coast championships but never won a **** thing :lol: - couldn't ride those weak waves in va beach :twisted:
i still go up to the banks once a year to see friends-prolly gonna ride up later this summer on the new 1600-can't wait for that trip-but no way to carry a board :lol:

#8 ·
you lived in durham? im in raleigh :D

but yea...i am lookin into a brand new 250 actually. lookin at the prices online and compared to the prices i see in the carolina bargain trader,seems like i would get out better if i bought a new one. they are going for like 3 grand right now! other than the 250 I kinda got my eye on a suzuki GS500f.

i got on a honda cbr f4i,600 today and it was waaay too big for me :oops: :p the man was tryin HARD to sell it to me too...he said it had already been dropped 3 inches but i think that was a lie. which reminds me,he also said the LEGAL amount u can drop a bike is 3 inches. is dis true?

#9 ·
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
born in durham n.c but lived in nags head growing up-surfed from kitty hawk to okcracoke
most of the time-but the lighthouse at the point was my fav. spot -awesome waves
used to go up to va.beach in the summer to surf the east coast championships but never won a **** thing :lol: - couldn't ride those weak waves in va beach :twisted:
i still go up to the banks once a year to see friends-prolly gonna ride up later this summer on the new 1600-can't wait for that trip-but no way to carry a board :lol:
did u ever hit wilmington? thats my favorite beach in NC....nothin like myrtle beach :lol: :lol:

#10 ·
Awesome! I live in Holly Springs, and work in Chapel Hill. Good job Emyj for not letting the sales rep sell you something you know you don't want or aren't ready for. Take your time and shop around, I',m sure you'll find something that fits your pocketbook. And you may be right, with used prices the way they are, you'd be better off buying new. As far as teh lowering restriction(?) that's a new one on me. I'll have to look in to that. Doesn't seem right though, but who knows.

Gimme a holler when you get it, we can meet up somewhere and go for a ride. Any weekend works for me, especially the way the weather has been. Perhaps we can meet up and ride to hang out with Bikeaholic. That is, if he don't mind ridin' with us sport bike types. :wink:

#13 ·
hell yea we should def meet up. as of now i dont think i know anybody with a bike anyway...my brother is trying to get one but that may not be till after he sells his car.

im goin to the kawasaki place today! wish me luck.

btw whats up with bike shops not being openend on mondays :x

#14 ·
EmyJ said:
im goin to the kawasaki place today! wish me luck.

btw whats up with bike shops not being openend on mondays :x
LUCK! :) Gimme a shout when you're ready! Saw your web page too. Interesting. Hey, be gald they're closed Mondays and not Saturdays like most businesses in this state. Never in my life have I seen a hardware store OR a parts store CLOSED ON SATURDAY!!!! (there's one down the road from me)

#16 ·
BIKE

Gee, I must have been sleeping...The 250 R is a great bike to save you lots of money with and to have a great time with. should you like the sport bike the 500 is a step up, but after taking the MSF course and a year or so of riding you may feel like a 600R/RR, or even a cruiser. You are not to small for a cruiser! I've been face to face with a baton/weapons instructor that could hold her own against anyone up to 3 times her size...she rode a cruiser all the time in Hawaii. She looked a little small but it was a great advantage when cruising behind the windscreen and not weighing anything. She could take off and be out of sight anytime she wanted to be. Sport bikes are a different breed of bike...especially if you intend to do any serious cross country riding...

#18 ·
Lol, welcome EmyJ. I'm sure you will find this a good site to come too, lots of good advice and great people from all over with many varieys of rides. Like Bikeaholic said doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

#21 ·
I lived in SC for a few years........ AWSOME area and country and NOTHING but classy people. Never got to the shoreline as I was busy working 24x7. I was in the Greenwood / Greenville SC area.

If there is a meet up I would be very open to heading back that way from Illinois.

#23 ·
seem to be quite a few ppl on here from NC 8)

and,i couldnt get my bike just yet. only bc i didnt know u had to have insurance before they could put tags on it . but it does have a sold tag with my name on it coz i gave em' a big fat down payment

#25 ·
rcivic97 said:
I'm also in NC and just got a 2004 ZX6R. Definitely would be up for going riding with someone one weekend. I don't know many people around here that have bikes. I'm in Raleigh.
I'm up for it anyday, anytime. We definitely need to get together, maybe meet up at the fairgrounds or something on a Saturday or Sunday. I know there's also a group that meets up at a restaurant in Pitsboro every Sunday. Never been, but I heard there's a ton of people there throughout the day. If anybody wants to hook up, let me know.

Emyj, that insurance/plate thing sucks, doesn't it. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.