Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The left turn signal on my bike was busted off and I would like to replace it. The problem is, the hole in the cowling where the bolt attached has been torn partway off. Check out the pictures for detailed damage. (Large pictures).

Picture 1
Picture 2

Are there ways to "patch" plastic besides slapping superglue everywhere?

Also, unrelated, I found these bushings near my bike after the turn signal busted off, does anyone know where they go?

Bushings

Thanks for the help.
Stephen

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The bushings look from the front of your gas tank, but that would not make sense unless you took off your gas tank and they fell off.

As far as patching you can look at a product called Plastex.
www.plastex.us

Depending on how crafty you are you can epoxy it, bondo it and add a layer of fiberglass if you wanted to. Place clear packing tape on the outside and mold what you need. Let it dry and then pull the tape.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i would look at the other turnsignal and see if the bushings didnt come from your turn signal. looks like the may go on either side of the plastic.
as for fixing the bodywork. do you still have the broken piece ? if so then go find the epoxy called "PLASICWELD". i used this on my broken up F2 plastic and it was tough stuff. (found out how tough after my highside). pull the fairing off, clean the area with acetone/similiar, rough up the area with some 80grit, put the piece in place and glue it from the backside. DO NOT BREATH THIS STUFF !!! its so very nasty smelling.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WORK

Gee, now would be the PERFECT time to get a pair of semi-flush turnsignals...they will cover up all that is underneath. Plasticweld will work if you want to go back to the ugly stock protrusion signals...but why?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: WORK

ZX-2R said:
Gee, now would be the PERFECT time to get a pair of semi-flush turnsignals...they will cover up all that is underneath. Plasticweld will work if you want to go back to the ugly stock protrusion signals...but why?
Preach on ZX-2R, preach on!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Preaching

While you are at ordering go ahead and order something to clean up the rear of the bike as well. Shaving off some of the rear fender will help the bike perform better (less drag) but getting LED's will BRIGHTEN up both the tail/stop and new turnsignals in the rear as well...heck get new rear turn signals as well...theLED's are brighter, last longer and really clean up the bike. Fiamm Dual tone horns offer some serious 129 nd even 134db horns...if you need to be heard...and if you are looking to enhance performance go to a racing or touring windshield instead of the short stock one...both of the replacements are taller and provide a cleaner airflow and more tuck in for you...these are changes that will enhance performance without making any changes to the engine...changing gears depending upon what kind of primary riding you do is something that doesn't require any engine changes either...just sprocket(s) and perhaps a chain...if you have enough mileage you can go to 100% synthetic motor oil...get rid of dead weight...do you really use the centerstand??? You can also get a Corbin seat for your bike...there are many things that you can do without getting into the engine if you want and still enhance the performance of your bike. Clean the fairing with cleaning agents for plastics ask the paint shop...apply graphics or decals and have it clearcoated over to protect it...change the seat cover...you can even order a differrent brand (not Kawasaki) fairing...and have it custom painted...there is much that you could do this winter when thengs are icky outside and you want to play with your bike...IF you really want to get things rolling you could send your complete motor out to brgracing ro is it bgracing...they have a website and they will have yor mike making nearly 1/3 more HP at the rear wheel...I prefer to leave the stock motor alone and get custom things done and get some serious soft grip almost racing tires...and save some money for another pair for the summer...plan on a trip this winter and rent a uHaul for several of bike riders and go to someplace warm south and share the cost of the truck...you have a place to store the bikes your gear...and you get to ride...don't just be gray like the weather....RIDE!!! Or work on the bike for a great new look for the summer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Those bushings did belong to the fuel tank. Which would explain why the fuel tank had the rattle. They could have fallen off when I was trying to wedge the tank back on and I just didn't notice them fall off at first.

While I was at the dealer I ordered some front turn signals that will be flush with the fairing and cover over the hole so I won't have too much repair to do.

Thanks for the performance tips too, I will look into a few of them. Since this is my starter bike, I'm not too worried about going too fast, I'll simply wait until I sell this one and get a newer performance bike.

My speedo cable should come in soon also, so I'll actually know how fast I'm going. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts