Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Haven't done one but I seen them on lots of bikes. Be sure to check with your State law. They are illegal in some states unless they were original equipment on the bike.

·
Retired High Miler
1,209 Posts
Just a bad idea. I have had lots of experience with them, they are called suicide shifters for a reason. Yes you can use them with a side car, but otherwise very poor idea.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Only way I would run one would be a modification... clutch lever relocated to the shifter lever, and no foot control.

They're fine for straight and level, but if you have to start on a hill, you've gotta be REALLY quick from the front brake to the throttle (keep in mind that a lot of customs don't have a front brake!) because you can't operate the conventional foot clutch and hold the rear brake at the same time.

The Vulcan presents a couple of unique issues.
The 1500/1600 clutch is hydraulic, so you can't relocate the stock lever to the shifter arm. Foot clutch is possible, but it would take some serious fabrication and modification of the stock rear brake master cylinder.
This would not be as big of a problem with the 900. You might be able to mod a Harley foot clutch kit to fit.

The second problem is the shifter lever itself. The shaft is pretty well buried under the left side of the engine case... it's not out in the open on the top of the tranny like the RoadStar and Harley.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I once owned a '48 Harley 61" Panhead complete with suicide shift and rocker-style foot operated clutch. You only needed the clutch to get moving. Once you were underway, you could upshift without using the clutch at all. Tough trannies those things were......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts