Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again - here's part 2

I am having an AWFUL time with the glare and I need to find a good pair of sunglasses. Any suggestions? I have a smokey gray shield on my helmet and will get a darker one for my new helmet but I really have got to find something to cut the glare. Today, I was on some back roads with the early afternoon sun coming straight into my face and I really was just holding my breath and so tense because I couldn't see. There are so many choices out there and I don't mind spending some money, but don't want to fork it out just for a name that doesn't really do the job. Thanks for any help on this one! :cool:

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I always wear safety sunglasses I get at Lowes. They are about 10 bucks, so if they get scratched or lost, it's no great loss. They fit well and kind of wrap around, so they are fairly reasonable for wind protection for the eyes too.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
we by them by the dozen at the site i listed, get clear and tinted for about 2 bucks a pair in bulk, always have a spare set on board, esp the bagger/cuiser. the clear are great at night, even have yellow for cloudy days etc.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
i will link when i get the email...we are always handing a pair out here and there, give my friends a set of four when they need, clear, blue tint, smoked, and yellow...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
they are having a 10% off everything and 25% clearance going on now, spend 100 i thin kand get free shipping...go to their website and sign up for their newsletter

·
Registered
466 Posts
Polarized sunglasses will cut the glare. Some people complain about a rainbow of colors they see thru their shield. Both on the bike and on their helmets

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are having a 10% off everything and 25% clearance going on now, spend 100 i thin kand get free shipping...go to their website and sign up for their newsletter
Thanks for the info - I'll definitely check out the website a little later and see what I can find. Do those come polarized, or do they seem to do OK with the glare?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Polarized sunglasses will cut the glare. Some people complain about a rainbow of colors they see thru their shield. Both on the bike and on their helmets
Do you use polarized lenses? That's something I was going to look into, to see if it really makes a difference for the money.

·
Registered
311 Posts
For me, fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you 'look' at it) I wear glasses anyway. I bought my last pair with transitions and andtiglare coating. The antiglare works great, and the transitions darken even with a clear shield on my helmet. Don't know if this helps you out, but thought I'd put in my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me, fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you 'look' at it) I wear glasses anyway. I bought my last pair with transitions and andtiglare coating. The antiglare works great, and the transitions darken even with a clear shield on my helmet. Don't know if this helps you out, but thought I'd put in my $0.02 :)
Appreciate it. :) I wear contacts and wonder if that makes me more sensitive to the glare - I'm going to do some research into the polarized lenses and see what I come up with.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Do you use polarized lenses? That's something I was going to look into, to see if it really makes a difference for the money.
For the past ten years I bought poloarized lenses only and will never go back to regular lenses. That being said I never wear my sunglasses when riding. You think that glare is bad? Try dealing with the the "rainbow" that Jerry mentioned that is constant--not just when you face the sun. Sure, you might get adjusted to it but it still fatigues your eyes when you ride for long periods of time.

If you're planning to buy a darker shield for your helmet, why are you considering sunglasses? Why not just buy the shield? Wouldn't that save money? Shields run $40 for my helmet, how much do they run for yours? A decent pair polarized sunglasses will run you about $100. And if you do decide to go with sunglasses, don't forget that you're wearing them when you take your helmet off. I did that with my $200 frameless Maui Jim's and chipped the top of the right lense...and the glasses were only two weeks old. Needless to say, I got the $40 shield the next day.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,306 Posts
I wear a pair of polarized sunglasses made for fishing, they even feature a +2 magnification at the bottom of the lense. This is handy as my near vision is 20/40 so I need them to read the gauges. My distance vision is 20/25 so the rest of the lense being plain, (just polarized), is not a problem. I got them at Walmart for $8.95 about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the past ten years I bought poloarized lenses only and will never go back to regular lenses. That being said I never wear my sunglasses when riding. You think that glare is bad? Try dealing with the the "rainbow" that Jerry mentioned that is constant--not just when you face the sun. Sure, you might get adjusted to it but it still fatigues your eyes when you ride for long periods of time.

If you're planning to buy a darker shield for your helmet, why are you considering sunglasses? Why not just buy the shield? Wouldn't that save money? Shields run $40 for my helmet, how much do they run for yours? A decent pair polarized sunglasses will run you about $100. And if you do decide to go with sunglasses, don't forget that you're wearing them when you take your helmet off. I did that with my $200 frameless Maui Jim's and chipped the top of the right lense...and the glasses were only two weeks old. Needless to say, I got the $40 shield the next day.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to go with the darkest shield on my new helmet and see how that goes. The one I have now is dark grey and it's not enough tint - I still have to wear sunglasses.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I love the tinted safety glasses... usually lightweight and a decent wrap-around. I got a few pairs from my last job and always keep a spare or two on the bike.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts