Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lowered my KDX220 with a set of kubalinks. (1.625 inches with the set I bought) I also adjusted the forks to balance it out, now I can comfortably sit with my feet almost flat to the ground, the ride is nice, but I've only had a chance to ride it in a huge gravel parking lot near my house as of yet.
I'm not sure if it lowered the rear too much?, and if I'm going to bottom out when I take it out to the trails. the sag difference is 3inches, but if you look at the pic I attached it looks way too low now when I'm sitting on the bike not to mention it used look cooler all jacked up in the back, oh well...I only weigh 150lbs too..

The pic from left to right is factory setting, then at rest w/links added, then w/me balanced on the seat, you can see what a huge difference it made.

The only reason I lowered it was because I was having trouble staying up while navigating really rocky trails, which where I ride is almost inevitable.
Every time I'd go to put a foot down to regain balance, there would be nothing there cause one of the wheels would be on top of a big rock increasing the height and down I go...any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, or else maybe I should just move to the desert, I've been looking for a reason to get out of Jersey anyway...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
get the RIGHT spring for your weight and get the sag set correctly. just be careful jumping etc cause you have lost some travel. good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was considering a different spring too. I'm making myself nuts trying to get this bike dialed in for me, but I think it will be worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From http://koubalink.com/kdxinfo.html

If the links you have chosen are the KDX2's, they will lower the rear of the KDX's by 1.625 inches if the 3.9 inches of sag is used, thus the front would also need to be lowered approx. 1.525 inches to stay close to the stock geometry. If the race sag is set at 3 inches rather than 3.9 inches, then the front would only need to be lowered .525 inches to maintain the stock geometry. We now have only lowered the laden (bike weight plus rider weight) rear height .525 inches, but the no weight rear height would still be 1.625 inches lower.

Max. weight recommendations for the KDX200/220 with the stock 5.0KG/mm rear spring =

Stock Links/4 race sag = Max. weight 250 lbs.

KDX1 Links/3 race sag = Max. weight 210 lbs.

KDX2 Links/3 race sag = Max. weight 170 lbs.

KDX3 Links/3 race sag = Max. weight 130 lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts