Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I do this? I got a new 520 Pro-X ring chain from a friend to put on here and now realize that my stock chain is a 530. What must I do to switch? Do I need new sprockets or is it going to be best to scrub it and get a 530 chain? Or is it possible that it will go right on?

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you change the chain size you HAVE to change the sprockets as well. 520=less unsprung weight and a little better acceleration. If you decide to go with the 520 chain you can change the gearing ratios just by changing the sprockets. I did a 520 conversion on my 7R and went -1 of the front and +2 on the rear. Huge difference in acceleration but I lost some top end speed. Who needs to go 170+ anyways. My bike tops out at 145 now but I get there quick as hell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thx for the info. So what combo do you recommend then if I was going to use this chain? I would like to keep the gearing close to the same if possible. This little thing is really winding to do 75 mph. It has 38t on the back right now and I think 15t on the front? Stock I am sure.

Or should I just get a new chain? I got a new replacement sprocket for the front. All I would need then is the rear one and a chain. Or if I go with the 520 conversion then I will need both sprockets.

hmmm, decisions??? Where is the best place to get low cost sprockets then?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts