Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

"Switchblade" Lowers

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  V2KCruiser 
#1 ·
I think I am narrowing it down to National Cycle for my windshield. Quick release matters to me .....

Memphis Shades does not have a quick release or that batwing for my bike. To go with it, it seems like the lowers from National Cycle are also quick release.

Are these quick release? Are they big enough to make a difference?

Thanks for sharing any experience with these.

National Cycle

#2 ·
No the lowers are not quick release. I just recently got a National's Switchblade and was thinking about getting the lowers,, but they are way too expensive! Plus I prefer clear instead of the chrome so that I can see through them. I know a guy that has the lowers and I traced the designed onto a piece of cardboard, made a few adjustments and made my own out of plexiglass for less then $30.

Barry

#3 ·
****,, where did my reply go.

I'll try again. No the lowers are not quick release. I just recently got a National shield. I was thinking about buying the lowers but they are way too expensive. A guy I know has a shorty and a 2-up shield that I tried on my bike before I decided on which one to buy. The shields helped a little with the wind, but when I bolted his lowers onto my bike,, what a difference. I could have put a piece of paper on top of the tank and it would have still been there after a ride. Anyway, I traced his lowers out onto a piece of cardboard and after a few changes I made my own out of plexiglass. I like the clear better then the chrome,, you can see through the clear. The homemade lowers only cost me approx $30 bucks too.

Barry

#5 ·
I'm not sure,, I can't tell how those mount. On the switchblade,,,,well on a V2K,,, you take the two mushroom head bolts out on the forks and attach their hardware. Then the shield just snaps in place. Nationals lowers mount to the hardware that attaches their shield. I used these clamps to mount my homemade lowers to the forks.

Marsh Fasteners-#48 Cushion Clamps 3" 304 Stainless

If you are handy in the garage, I say make your own. I could send you a template of my lowers and a few instructions on how I did mine. I used their design as a rough idea and changed up the size and shape a bit. You will save yourself quite a bit of money. Actually here are some instructions that helped me when I made mine.

Homemade Lowers for Kawasaki Vulcan VN900 Classic LT

#6 ·
The NC lowers are not quick release but very effective. Unfotunately mine developed stress cracks at the main bend, top and bottom. I'm guessing from vibes and high speed wind. I patched them for this season and bought some 1/8 stainless plate, took it and the orig to a shop to cut and bend, and am in the process of polishing. I personally love the "big" chrome look. What good is bling of it don't sparkle? ;)

#7 ·
I think I am narrowing it down to National Cycle for my windshield. Quick release matters to me .....

Memphis Shades does not have a quick release or that batwing for my bike. To go with it, it seems like the lowers from National Cycle are also quick release.

Are these quick release? Are they big enough to make a difference?

Thanks for sharing any experience with these.

National Cycle

orly?

Memphis Shades Fats/Slim Quick Release Mounting Kit - Vulcan 1600 Classic RTI03

Memphis Shades Fats/Slim Quick Release Mounting Kit - Vulcan 1600 Classic

- Memphis Shades Fats/Slim hardware kits feature Quick Change mounting, which allows you to remove or swap out your Memphis Fats or Slim windshields in about one minute
- Hardware is custom-fit to each style of bike for a no-hassle installation
- Hardware includes stainless steel bolts and CNC-machined aluminum mounting plates and anchors
- All windshields are sold separately
- NOT FOR USE WITH SPORT SHIELDS
- For additional coverage, Memphis Shades Lowers are available Sold Separately

Important: See fitment details!

This accessory fits all current model years for:

- Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
hope that helps :)

#8 ·
hope that helps :)
Hmmmmmmm, very odd. Memphis Shades SPECIFICALLY told me over the phone that there is not a quick release kit for my bike. And their Website does not show one either.

I'll have to call them again with the Custom Cruiser part # and get to the bottom of this. I would prefer Memphis Shades do to more sizing options.

#9 ·
Hmmmmmmm, very odd. Memphis Shades SPECIFICALLY told me over the phone that there is not a quick release kit for my bike. And their Website does not show one either.

I'll have to call them again with the Custom Cruiser part # and get to the bottom of this. I would prefer Memphis Shades do to more sizing options.

My guess would be it's a discontinued part # and CC still has some laying around.

#10 ·
Like you, quick on and off was a big deal for me. The reason for Corbin seat, with backrest, EZ brackets for the bags, and Switchblade shield. After the first few highway rides, I got the lowers. Big difference. They kind of grow on you. Don't look too bad without the shield. Only 2 bolts has them off. I stripped her down last year for the "look". Lasted about 2 days, before I put everything back on. Some of that crap hurts when your flyin' down the highway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.