Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I finally made the switch to Mobile 1 Racing 4T synthetic oil for the 1600 classic. So far I have only put about 10 miles on her but have noticed that she seems to shift somewhat smoother. I have also noticed to my disappointment that my nice and quiet engine is now a big clatter and buzz factory!!!:eek: I have about 7600 miles on her and the bike has been nice and quiet until now. I hope this is going to go away. Could this be from the new oil needing to coat, seat, surround, whatever to all the parts?? I really an not liking this chattering. I had read all of the posts prior to buying this bike about how noisy the engines were. I must say, I never had that problem with mine until now! Anyone have any good news for me and can tell me that this will go away in a few hundred miles?

Thanks!

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
with colder weather upon us, its probably the ISC valves in your right side air box clattering away. In colder weather they make some noise, nothing to worry about. The switch to synthetic shouldn't cause any additional engine noise.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I went from Castrol Evo to Mobil1 4t and bike ran good with no issues then I went back to Castrol Evo and did not noticed any diff so I'm sticking with Castrol Evo. Once I tried the Valvoline 20-50 drained it soon after due to similar issues. I just don't see the extra $$ advantage with the full synt. I know numbers show a diff story but to me I go by ear and feel and not numbers.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Rich is waiting in the wings to pounce on this thread

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
If there was no difference between dino and synthetic, then why do ALL top line HP cars now run syn from the factory

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have been running Mobile 1 racing 4t synthetic oil in my 1600 classic since the first oil change and now have a little over 12,000 mi. My engine is not as noisy as others describe, and I have had no problems of any kind so far. I am thinking the noise you are hearing may be temp related as a previous poster mentioned. I also use the Mobile 1 oil filter, not that, that should make any difference. I would not worry about it if I were you; just keep riding it and see if it gets worse or hopefully improves. I understand how hearing a new noise would concern you as I am sensitive to noises in mechanical devices myself. Unless something else was done at the time you changed the oil, I doubt you have any problem.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
If there was no difference between dino and synthetic, then why do ALL top line HP cars now run syn from the factory
Maybe when you get to notice the difference between dino and synt is when you step up to a HP car or bike. These HP vehicles/bikes by nature rev higher than the average engine. I have tried at least one of these oils (Mobil 1, Castrol Full synt and Quaker Stake full synt) in almost every car I have owned and always found myself going back to regular oils. But then again I never had a Porche, Corvette or anything of that nature therefore in my regular vehicles/bike I don't see, feel or hear any difference.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
I've been running Mobile 1, V-Twin, 20/50 for 2000 miles on my 1500. Very smooth shifting now compaired to dyno oil. I have noticed even with my 900 that when you need an oil change (2500-3500miles) the gear shifting gets rough and clunky. It's been the same with my 1500 as it was with the 900.

:D
Aif

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I'm not knocking those who believe that 100% synthetic is better than Dyno,...whatever floats your boat. However, I know a guy up here who has 126,000 miles (over 200,000 kilometers) on his 1500 Nomad, and all he's ever used is dyno oil, changed at every 3000 miles. Personally, I find my 1500 will shift smoother, and more quiet with dyno, than when I tried full synth.
Therefore, I believe that full synth is probably more beneficial in high performance engines where rpm's are extremely high. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it, is my motto. Clean oil is what makes the difference I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts