Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I painted and restored my '85 KX's front brake caliber. The fuild and dust seals are very good condition but now when I tried to assemble them back after couple of months, they don't fit into their grooves anymore. Especially the fluid seal seems to be way too big (the diameter is larger few millimeter). Could these rubbers be swollen? The dust seal looks very unique and I'm afraid to can't find these as new anymore.
I haven't tried to dip them into brake fluid but I doubt that it wont help

Cheers, Mikko

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problem with brake caliper seals.

I have had some luck soaking them in methylated spirits for a couple of hours - it seems to draw out whatever has soaked into them (Anything that is designed to work in brake fluid shouldn't be damaged by metho). Then rub them down with brake fluid to lubricate them and work them back into their grooves. Even if they seem a little long still they may well work back into place - the lubrication helps somewhat with this, it allows the extra length to distribute around the circumference of the seal, not just at the point where you are pushing the last little bit into.

I've heard with some swollen rubber seals that boiling them in water can help to remove whatever solvents have soaked into them, but I have found that it doesn't seem to help with brake parts much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts