Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
There is not such thing as Kawasaki oil, or any other auto or motorcycle manufacturers's. They are not in the business of making oil, gasoline, or any other chemical product. ...they buy from oil (or other chemical) manufacturers, like anybody else, and put their brand label on it charging for it. Last I knew, USA Kawasaki was buying 'their' oil from Motul. Not disrespect,..... all the manufacturers do same thing....and I'd do it too if a I was one of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most major oil companies, like tire companies, like antifreeze companies, make products for other manufacturers and they’re made to the manufacture specifications. Ford motor company used to use rotunda oil, But it was made to Fords specifications. I’m sure Motul Makes oil for Kawasaki motorcycles to Kawasaki‘s specifications.

·
1,057 Posts
Ahhh the oil wars are heating up. 😁 I have to agree with supercoup that a volume purchaser like Kawasaki can have Motul, Mobil or any oil company, make the oil to their own specifications. But this in no way guarantees Kawasaki oil is superior to any and all other brands. I have no doubt that Kawasaki oil is of very high quality and I have used it in my bikes in the past, but since the Kawi dealer is located way across town, I have no qualms about using other brand name oils that I can purchase on my side of town, providing they meet the specs in my manual.

My owner's manual states under "Recommended Engine Oils:
Type: Kawasaki Mineral M4
Kawasaki Synthetic S4
OR
Any other 4 stroke oils with rating of
API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
AND JASO MA, MA1, MA2
Viscosity 10W-40

·
itching to ride
2,230 Posts
I picked up a gallon of store brand 15-40 diesel oil at Napa. It was on sale for under 10 dollars so I thought I'd give it a try. Normally I use Rotella or Delvac but could not pass up the deal on the Napa brand. Well after reading this thread I did some checking and it seems the Napa brand is higher in zinc and phosphorus than Rotella T.

I was not due for an oil change but my carbs flooded out and got gasoline in my crankcase. It even washed my rings out so I am having to replace those now. Running on the left cylinder only I ran a compression check and the right side was under 120. This right after I did a valve clearance adjustment too. smh
I put a few drops of oil in the spark plug hole and the compression immediately jumped up to 150 or so.
Time to change rings.

Anyway it is all back together except the radiator and fuel tank so I will be changing the oil tomorrow, the good Lord willing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
... but if his engine/trans/clutch failed tomorrow, how would anyone know if it would have gone another 50,000 miles had he used what his owner's manual specified?
The opposite to that is: if he used regular oil and his clutch failed, how would anyone know if it would have gone another 50,000 miles if he had used synthetic oil?.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m sure Motul Makes oil for Kawasaki motorcycles to Kawasaki‘s specifications.
Kind of doubt that myself. Oil companies may money by distilling (for lack of a better word) huge volumes of oil. It would be cost prohibitive to make a small amounts (let's face it, Kawasaki isn't selling huge amoutns of their 'branded' oil) of botique oil for various manufacturers.

·
1,057 Posts
Oil is blended after "distillation" by mixing in chemical additives that are easily added just prior to packaging. My owner's manual states: "Kawasaki Mineral M4 and Kawasaki Synthetic S4 have been specifically engineered for your vehicle".

As previously stated, everyone has their own opinion and anyone is free to use whatever oil they like in their machines.
Let's all respect that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"Kawasaki Mineral M4 and Kawasaki Synthetic S4 have been specifically engineered for your vehicle".
So, you're thinking Kawasaki oil was 'engineered' specifically for your vehicle? Kawasaki make a lot of different vehicles - do they each have their own Kawasaki engineered oil? Kawasaki buya their oil in bulk and put's their label on it, same way everybody else does.

·
1,057 Posts
I am just quoting my Kawasaki owner's manual. The M4 and S4 Kawasaki oils were engineered for motorcycles, ATV's and possibly jet skis. I am not sure if you have ever visited an oil blending/packaging plant. I have, and I can tell you that they can easily customize oil blends for various customers and the quantities do not have to be super high to justify a custom blend. FYI as an example RelaDyne has been in the custom oil blending business for almost 40 years. Here is a quote from their website "RelaDyne’s Custom Blending division has the ability to create unique and specific formulations to exceed customer performance expectations." When Kawasaki tells me that they have a specific engineered oil, I believe them. It is your right to not believe it. We can agree to disagree.:)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts