Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode the bike to work today, it was 36F with a 25mph wind & I was going 75-85mph into the wind on the way to work.

Got a tad cold & am just now warming up :shock: :shock: :shock:

Think I need to get a good coat of some kind for cold weather ridding :p :p

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
when it gets down to freezing and below ya gotta layer up. I've been known to wear several pairs of socks, multiple sweaters under my leather. Gloves + liners + heated grips.

lots of warm stuff. its just kinda hard to pee.

G

·
don't forget,...with every 5 degrees the weather drops we can loose up to 2lbs of air pressure,make sure to always check air pressure before riding :) be safe

·
Registered
605 Posts
eh, I always wear a t-shirt, then another shirt, I find my textile to be warmer than my leather because my textile has glove closures on the wrists, so air still comes in but not UP the arms so much so 30 degrees is tolerable on my way to and from school and work (10 miles each way)

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I need to change the air in the tires from summer air to winter air eh :shock: :p :p

Been looking at Belstaff or the Firstgear Voyager II Jackets to try and keep me a tad warmer when it's cold out. I've got a few cold weather jackets but nothing thats made for motorcycles or that will provide much protection if I take spill.

Course, I'll also need to find something to keep the hands & legs warmer than the non insulated gloves & Wranglers I now wear :lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
weather

It's 91 deg. here in South Tx. today, just wish I was'nt working so I could go for a nice long ride! I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a cold climate, but we do have Hurricanes!
Lonestar

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Believe it or not

You may find that just a riansuit will work over your regular clothes that you normally wear. I wore a Dry Rider in R.I. to ME on one way rides non stop. Over a pair of levi's and a my Vanson leather jacket it stopped most of the fog from soaking and the wind from creating the windchill from going through my body. Before I went to the DryRider I was almost admitted to the Hospital because I couldn't get warmed up...I had to pull up to a garage post and kill the motor because I couldn't move my legs to put the kickstand down...The girls parents actually let her put me in the bathtub clothes and all to warm my body temp slowly and were there checking on us, asking me if I needed or wanted to go to the hospital...That was the very last time I rode without a DryRider in a tankbag/saddlebag. Rubber boots over leather boots are another great idea for trapping heat. They're thin yet give an additional layer for the leather inside not to breath. Helmet liners or skull caps help but best is a thin scarf, or extra large bandana, something you like from the materials section at a fabric store...to wrap around your neck to keep air from entering around your neck and going up through your helmet nad down to your chest. ALSO fopr those that have a regular stock windscreen...NOW is the time to order a PUIG, Maier or what ever touring windscreen for the cooler weather...it will not only protect you from the weather and save your precious (read expensive) leathers, but it should also improve your fuel economy...really!

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got several sets of issued gortex but am not one who wears BDU's or BDU gear after retirement. Guess I need to pull my head out & save some cash money by wearing the old issue gortex wet/cold weather gear.

My biggest problem with wearing this gear is that it does not provide any protection & it's not big enough to wear my ridding jacket under.

Never thought of a scarf, but I do get lots of wind down the jacket around this opening. Head stays nice and warm even with a vent or two open. However, I tend to fog up a tad in the early morning. Need to use more cat crap to see if this clears up that little problem.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Goretex (tm)

Goretex was on sale at the sporting goods store this past summer. I bought one(like a dummy I only bought one) that would fit over my leather jacket. DryRider offers and several other companies offer riansuits that are two piece...I prefer the goretex...I have a fleece neckscarf that is awesome in the wintertime...it keeps nearly all of the wind from going either way up/down and i keep it in my coat sleeve when I'm not wearig it...or if i'm riding I just don't wrap it if it's not that cold in the afternoon. I'm still looking fo r a bike...several on the Fourm that are great deals...but Karens dialysis and now the heart surgery have literally killed any budget or even income that we had...My pension and ssid barly cover the Mortgage alone. I have posted in OFF TOPIC Prayers if you believe in them...and i'm gettign some support...still I need a road bike to get through things here on my end. OZ Cyclel Salvage makes more money on parts than they do on selling complete bikes...so I can't blame them for their high prices for a complete bike...more than those on the forum. Hope to see you some day...meet in person and have a quiet Saturday to chat about everything over coffee and toast, whatever...right now something cheap and filling...just chat. I'd love to set down with EVERY member and keep a profile of every one of them, just for myself. I'm hopeing tha tBeartooth may make me an offer on a new bike...but I'm not holding my breath...I'll most liekly end up getting something very used and in need of some TLC...JUST LIKE ME!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts