Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I know lots and lots of people who have been there. 311 curves in 11 miles (I believe). Ride at 35-40% of your skill level... which means slow down. There are tons and tons of other roads near that area that are very good too, but the dragon is supposed to be the most technical.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
i went to the Honda Hoot a few years ago in Knoxville. The Dragon was on everyone's mouths, but we didn't have time to take a ride up there. I was told that seeing a race bike with no plates flying up there is not uncommon and neither is seeing bikes off the road. I agree with Freakinout, definitely ride slower than your comfort level until you really get a feel for the road. the word is that the Dragon has a pretty mean bite ! either way, take pics and tell us the story when you get back.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
This sounds ominous! Sleigh?<SP> the Dragon or be sleighed. :shock:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I also wanna add, I have 2 cd's worth of pictures from last years katanaplanet rally. I'd post them, but that would eat up ungodly amounts of bandwidth.

I have some video from the gap that I can post when I get home as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, check out the websites i provided, the first shows plenty of bikes off the road.
I'll definately be sure to ride slow (speed limit is 30 on the road, and tons of law enforcement) and take it easy the first couple rides.

I want to take a video camera and put it behind my faring for the ride

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Never been, but a site to check out: www.ncvulcan.org Click on area ride maps and you'll find other recommended rides as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi SciFly if love to ride the curves, you should feel right at home at Deal's Gap. I have been there twice and have another trip planned for June 2005. If you are looking for lodging you can get a room at Fontana Inn for about 55.00 a night just ask for the dragon slayer discount.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Freakinout,Its 318 curves in 11 miles!!!! WooooWeeee!!!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
ispeed77 said:
i didn't realize so many cruisers and touring bikes went on that ride. i might have to make it a point to hit it this summer.
Yea David it's suppose to be a popular place for bike's. The 7 curve's that Freakinout left off his post is where all the bikes tend to get layed down,lol those are the one's he's going to avoid. He figure's the other 311 will be enough. <BG>

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
Yea David it's suppose to be a popular place for bike's. The 7 curve's that Freakinout left off his post is where all the bikes tend to get layed down,lol those are the one's he's going to avoid. He figure's the other 311 will be enough. <BG>
hehe, can't wait to see the reaction to that one !!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Anyway, anyone who's heading that way let us know your timing if your interested. I'm only about 3 hours from there as are many others and always looking for an excuse to cruise the Parkway and gap.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
flynsouth said:
Anyway, anyone who's heading that way let us know your timing if your interested. I'm only about 3 hours from there as are many others and always looking for an excuse to cruise the Parkway and gap.
Flynsouth,How busy does that stretch of road get being it's so popular? What time of year would be a good time to ride it? or is it pretty busy all the time when the weather is nice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Dragon

I live in the area and "the dragon" is probably one of the most widely known and ridden roads in the country. With that in mind, weekends can be wild, early week day mornings are best. My biggest concern is not my ridding but that of others (meeting a knee dragger in your lane!). Crashes are frequent and deaths happen more than they should. So be careful. If you go. plan to do the complete loop including the Cherahala Skyway (in my opinion the better ride). I can't resist attaching some pics; they were supposedly taken on the dargon, shows you what can happen.
Be Safe

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
ranjan said:
they were supposedly taken on the dargon, shows you what can happen.
Be Safe
Ouch! Definitely brings home the point, it's not yourself you have to worry about, it's the other guy!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
ranjan said:
I live in the area and "the dragon" is probably one of the most widely known and ridden roads in the country. With that in mind, weekends can be wild, early week day mornings are best. My biggest concern is not my ridding but that of others (meeting a knee dragger in your lane!). Crashes are frequent and deaths happen more than they should. So be careful. If you go. plan to do the complete loop including the Cherahala Skyway (in my opinion the better ride). I can't resist attaching some pics; they were supposedly taken on the dargon, shows you what can happen.
Be Safe
Thanks Ranjan, I've seen those pics before. The second guy look's like he WAS enjoying his ride until then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts