Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at least I noticed (or my Dad did anyways) that my taillight/running light on the back of my 900 Custom has stopped working. I want to add that it is the Clear Alternative LED integrated taillight. It has only recently failed as I check it often and not until tonight while it was dark did my Dad notice I had no lights!

Since it was dark out I decided it would be in my best interest to try and fix it right then and there and hopefully find an easy solution. The verdict is that my brake lights and turn signals work as designed. When I took the cover off and tested the wires the Red wire for the running lights is hot as should be and it seems to loose power once in the board.

Has anyone encountered this before? It looks like I'll have to go back to the big dingle berry off my rear fender until I can get bullet lights to replace my turns and go back to an incadescent in the rear.

I'm rather bummed out!

I also want to note that I have only had the light for 1 year this month. It doesn't get many power cycles but none-the-less it is lit ALL the time....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I feel for you. I have the same brake/turn signal tail light also, but i got lucky enough to have trouble with it just before the one year period where i could have sent it back. Try contacting them and see what they say about replacing it. Its worth a shot, that being said, its kind of sad that we are only getting a year or less out of a product that isnt really run on a whole lot of current for the electrical system. Kinda makes you think how well these lights are being tested before leaving the factory. Its a good thing our bikes dont run like that. Chime in Rich.:confused:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I emailed the vendor I purchased it from. I'll wait for a reply then shoot an email to Clear Alternatives if they have contact info.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I purchased the light from Meancycles on April 27, 2008. This means I would not have received it until the first week of May. We noticed the failure May 2nd, 2009. I'm already emailed Clear Alternatives. I'll let you know what they say but I'm not stopping at anything short of a replacement under warranty. Wish me luck!

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
Good luck, Jack030. Seems like we're all having lighting issues. On both ends of the bike :) I think it's a government conspiracy - We need a bailout!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More failure.

Now only the right half of the board lights up when the brakes are activated. So I'm down running lights, and half the brakes. Turn signals still work for now.

After waiting a week for a reply to my emails, I finally got all my facts straight and called Clear Alternatives. They answered the phone promply and after briefly describing the problem their answer was "send it back and we'll get you a replacement." They didn't ask when I purchased it or who I purchased it from.

Maybe they realize they're having more problems than they need and rather replace it without the hassle... I still plan on purchasing other lighting for my needs but now maybe I'll have backup/options.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi jack030
Before my tailight completely when kabooley, i had lights on only half of my tail light when i would start my bike and if i would tap it the rest of the lights would come on for awhile maybe even stay on until i was finished riding. I took it off and checked the connection where you plug the bulb connection on to the tail light and made sure that all of the metal parts met and sure enough they hadn't completely contacted. Once that was fixed the tail light worked for 8 months after that before lights out and had to be replaced. I would still send it back but make sure it isnt in the connection.
chester--

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I've had it completely apart and the connections at the bulb plug are good. I had a voltmeter on it and the wire(s) are hot coming from the plug and loose connection/power in the board...

I tried tapping as well maybe I should try a hammer... i know i'd like to.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after speaking with Clear Alternatives on the phone a few weeks ago they agreed to take a look at the unit under warranty. Without putting up any kind of fight or even asking simple questions they said send it back!

Well I received my replacement unit today and it seems they've upped their game. Or at least they realized they were making a terrible product before.

The circuit board as been redesigned and the solder joints are much stronger. The wires for the unit are much longer and give you more room to work. All in all I'm pleased with the Customer Service. After all that's what makes a business a business.

I will install the unit tomorrow and report on anything worth noting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts