Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere in the streams I read about taking off the tank emblems. I pretty sure that when I get my bike at the end of the month I'll take them off. The previous information had us heating it with a heat gun/hair dryer and then using fishing line or floss to cut through the adhesive and finally using glue off or goo gone. My questions, is if I do this will I damage the paint in any way. Also any thoughts about removing the Kawasaki label from the side panel?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Mine came off with just a few minutes of hair dryer heat. No floss necessary. Heat and peel. And then some WD-40 to remove the leftover adhesive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A friend of mine just removed the badges on his 1500 classic with some fishing line. No dryer or heat of any kind. Just use a sawing motion as said before and some goo gone after.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Identification, will it increase theft

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking, if I take everything off that says Kawasaki, does anyone think that some not to well informed person would be more likely to steal it not knowing what it is and thinking its a HD or custom etc. Just my paranoia working I guess!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was able to easily peel the badges off the side panels just with my fingernails. Haven't tried the tank badges yet. Peewee, were you able to pull those off without fishing line? I'd really like to take mine off, but have been nervous about it...

P

·
0 Posts
screaminmeanie said:
I was able to easily peel the badges off the side panels just with my fingernails. Haven't tried the tank badges yet. Peewee, were you able to pull those off without fishing line? I'd really like to take mine off, but have been nervous about it...
i was nervous also but if i would have to do it all over i think it would be with the fishing line ,less danger to scratch the tank :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Non-solvent approach

I took the emblems off my 800B with floss but they left a ton of gum behind. Rather than work it with a solvent, I wandered down to a body shop. They have a rubber wheel attachment for their air gun that strips it right off without solvent or abrading the clear coat. Plus it was free. Took 5 min and looks great with no chance of scratches. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts