Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
So newbie it hurts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to state my case then let you guys give me a stern talking to.

My good friend has a very nicely maintained 92 zx-11 with 30k miles that he wants to sell to me for $2000.

I'm 34 and not looking to race or stunt. Just casual sunday morning backroad cruising with maybe an occasional ride to work. Very little road experience, I rode an 82 KZ1000 for two seasons. Maybe 2k miles total (odo was broken). Plenty of seat time on an RM250 dirt bike along with various other ATVs and snowmobiles.

I never even registered that hoopty KZ1000 and just had my temp license. I am registered for MSC next month. I plan to be a safe rider with gear at all times.

Hoping you guys could offer some solid advice on how to be safe (in addition to the 50 steps to stay alive) or to just walk away from this deal.

Thanks

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Remember that the right wrist controls your speed. That's all.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Ahhh, keep your wits about you, use your common sense...and you'll be just fine. A ZX11 is going to be far easier to learn and get adjusted on than a litrebike or race class 600. The larger Ninja's can actually be ridden in a very tame manner if you want. Just show the bike the respect she deserves, and you will be fine.

I can't comment on the price, but it seems you are comfortable with the condition...so I say "go for it". Remember we're talking motorbikes here, and their is a level of emotion that goes into a purchasing decision...if this is the bike that makes you smile, the bike that you can't get out of your head....then by all means by her.....ride often, and ride safe.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If you were a new, inexperianced rider, I'd say no, but since you have at least two years of street riding along with dirt time, I believe you've gained the correct skill sets to survive riding a higher performance machine.

I look at the newer sportbikes the same as modern jet fighter aircraft, in that you have to be able to anticipate what may happen in a split second and if possible ride at least a block ahead of yourself on the street.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
If you were an 18 year old kid, I'd be reading you the riot-act. But your not, so I wont. :lol:

Your an adult, have at least some experience, and from the sounds of it, a fully functioning brain. So I think you should be OK. Like trike said, the big Ninjas can actually be quite sedate, if ridden maturely. I ride mine to and from work regularly as well, as some sport-touring. But remember, there is a fire breathing monster that shows it's head after about 4000 RPM.

Some things to keep in mind, that may or may not change your mind:

The thing is a tank. It's about a mile long, and weighs a metric ton. Makes it nice out on the highway, and for long sweepers, but can be like riding a Brahma Bull in the twisties, and a little cumbersome (relatively) in tight traffic.

Lot's of torque, down low, for an inline-4. You can ride all day long in traffic, without ever leaving second or third gear. I can go my whole 10 mile commute in the morning, and only shift 3 or 4 times, if I wanted. And at lower RPMs, it'll be happy to just chug along. But open her up, and she'll go. Boy will she go!! Triple digit speeds creep up on you very quick, and you wont notice. The bike is very poised and comfortable well up into 100+ mph speeds. Unfortunately, it'll only feel like your cruising at 65 or 70, so you gotta pay attention. If not, Mr. Policeman will set you straight.

$2k seems like a good price, if it's in good condition. Even with 30k on the clock. He could probably ask another grand, and still find buyers. The bike is still popular with drag racers, speed trials, and turbo freaks on a budget. Taken care of, 30k isn't a whole lot of miles, and the motor is bulletproof.

I say, if the bike's calling you, answer it...

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Thats a nice bike, if its in good shape buy it..............ride cautiously, and learn to be smooth and good, fast will come in time after your good.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
I dissent somewhat.
Dirt riding and limited seat time on a KZ will not adequately prep you for the ZX. The bikes process input, (good and bad) in totally different ways. But, it's not like you can't learn to ride it well. If you buy it, go to school on it, and you'll get much more enjoyment out of the deal.

Personally, I think it's more rewarding to ride 90% of a small bike than it is to ride 20% of a big bike.

Aside from that, if it's truly a nice specimen, that's a good price.

Good luck.

·
So newbie it hurts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I have to say coming from a sport-compact car forum world it is quite refreshing to see a community of ADULTS that are truely helpful.

This is my current adrenaline delivery device:

97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Low 12's in the 1/4

Personally, I think it's more rewarding to ride 90% of a small bike than it is to ride 20% of a big bike.
That is an excellent point!

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
34 years old + prior experience + maturity + willingness to listen to wisdom =

I'd say go for it, but that's just me.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me and the 92 was a very smooth riding machine. A bit heavy, but enough power to make up for it. Nothing like the new zx10 I just had which makes it more of a good bike for what sounds like your purpose. I'm 35 so I think I know your level really.

Have fun on her and give her that respect with the right hand and you should probably keep her for years to come. Post some pics!

Robert

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Here's my take:

With a powerful bike, clutch control is the biggest issue. Poor clutch control will send the bike off like a rocket while you stay in one place.

That's one place where the dirt experience helps because good clutch control is crucial to staying upright.

The next issue is the speed and power. That's where personal self control comes in. With your small amount of road experience, what were you like on the road? If you kept yourself in check, you'll probably be able to do the same now that you're a bit older and wiser. However, if you were a maniac riding 100MPH on the highways, you'll really get yourself in trouble on the ZX11.

Finally, the 11 is pretty heavy compared to most dirt bikes. That's going to be a big adjustment when it comes to both maneuvering and stopping. Taking it especially easy is going to be crucial for the first several months until you get used to the weight.

In the end, if you can truthfully say you've been responsible in the past (though not registering the KZ does raise a red flag to me) and you truthfully feel confident in your control in the dirt, you'll likely be fine.

Just respect the bike and its size. If you don't, it will eat you alive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm with the guys that say buy it.Since you have the dirt expeirence I think you will be alright.Just remember it is a beast and if you mistreat it,it will bite.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm with the guys that say buy it.Since you have the dirt expeirence I think you will be alright.Just remember it is a beast and if you mistreat it,it will bite.
Any bike with bite if mistreated.

But I think you should go for it. Even if you dont like it after 300 miles you can maybe resell it to the guy, or find a new buyer.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
Any bike with bite if mistreated.

But I think you should go for it. Even if you dont like it after 300 miles you can maybe resell it to the guy, or find a new buyer.
If that happens, look me up. I might just be that new buyer lol. I wouldn't mind having that bike honestly.

·
So newbie it hurts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys, I decided not to buy the ZX-11. I took it for another ride and it just wasn't right for me.

I did however keep it in the family!

Picked up this 1999 Vulcan 800 Classic today. :D

Don't mind the messy garage. Yes that IS carpet heh. I spend plenty of time on my back under the Talon so I may as well be comfortable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts