Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie I didn't realize that I'm too tall for my Vulcan 800 until I put a few hundred miles on it. Now my butt hurts, and I'm guessing I should be sitting much farther back (or up?) than I am with the standard seat. Are there any seats/mods that will fix this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

if you have the stock seat i don't you how you made it that far :lol:
i changed mine the third day to a mustang solo saddle and wheeeew
what a relief :wink:

corbin and mustang seats are the most popular - both good seats
the mustang will seat you a little lower -you might consider some risers
if your too bent over the bars :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
sore butt

Naterator,
I'm a tall guy too, 6'4 :roll: I have a 2000 Drifter 800 and I don't have access to a new seat so here is what I did. :arrow: Sit on your bike and mark where the bones of your butt meet the seat with your fingers, then dismount and mark it again with a piece of chalk. Do it a couple of times to be sure.
Take off the seat, strip away the cover down to where the marks are, double check before you go any further that you have the right places. Cut a conical shaped piece of foam about 3 inches wide. The point of the cone being against the cover, but do not go all the way through the foamrubber. Try to leave 1-8th, less than a quarter, of an inch against the cover. Afterwards you will have in your had one cone shaped piece of foam about 2 inches high and 3 inches accross the bottom. :shock: Do it again under the other mark, and before you staple it all back together again put it on the bike and sit on it. Wiggle around and see if it is hitting the spots you want. If so the reassemble and ride. In case you don't like the ride after this be sure to put the cones back in for the next guy.:wink:
I have nearly 20,000 miles :lol: on this seat and can ride forever. Good luck

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I don't know much about the 800, but I had the same basic problem with my 1600. With the stock seat on the 1600, there's a curve at the back of the seat that makes that part of the seat unusable. If you try to slide back there, you start to slide up, then you just slide back!! Not good.

I swapped out the stock seat with a Mustang. That seat is squared off at the back of the seat and allows you to sit back further. I hope that makes sense. I'm 6' 2" and I'm long in the legs - 35" - 36" inseam and that seat has made all the difference.

The other thing is that the seat and the front of the passenger pillon supports your butt and about up to your belt. Very comfortable. I do 300 mile rides and don't have an aching butt or back.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Freedom1600 said:
I don't know much about the 800, but I had the same basic problem with my 1600. With the stock seat on the 1600, there's a curve at the back of the seat that makes that part of the seat unusable. If you try to slide back there, you start to slide up, then you just slide back!! Not good.

I swapped out the stock seat with a Mustang. That seat is squared off at the back of the seat and allows you to sit back further. I hope that makes sense. I'm 6' 2" and I'm long in the legs - 35" - 36" inseam and that seat has made all the difference.

The other thing is that the seat and the front of the passenger pillon supports your butt and about up to your belt. Very comfortable. I do 300 mile rides and don't have an aching butt or back.

Hope that helps.
What was the model number of the seat you bought? I need to do the same thing.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Naterator, The corbin will sit you back plus the seat is wider, an you can get a pop -in backrest (if needed). Bikeaholic mentioned the riser's for the bars, so I also have a recommendation, If your legs feel a little cramped you could switch to foward controls (several brands out there) they will straighten you legs out up to 4" or 5". Here's a pic of the seat with the backrest.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nat: I have an 800A and put on the forward controls by Mapam Restyling. Ordered from Cruiser Customizing. This moves your feet about 2.5 inches forward. Doesn't seem like a lot but when you first sit on the bike after installing, it seems like a huge difference. They are a bit pricey ($400) but I think all the F/C's are. The additional comfort was worth it to me. They look pretty good too. Also, they don't move your feet higher, just forward. I've read comments on the Jardine controls where a few people are disappointed because they moved their feet higher as well as forward.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I ended up with a Mustang Solo with a backrest .... Man what a diffrence!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nat,

if you go with the forewards from MAPAm check out www.backyardperformance.com. they have them for $296. thats where I got mine and I love them. they extend my legs just enough. the Jardine's will get your legs out there further but you feet are in front of the downtubes which IMHO looks kinda funny.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I'll second the nod for Forward controls. I just installed Mapam 4" fwd. controls on my Meanie and it really puts me in a way more comfortable riding position. ( I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam) I have not changed out my stock seat yet. I was surpised at how much better the whole bike felt with the addition of forward controls. Oh, and as a bonus they are shiny too.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I'm 6' 4" with 36" inseam and switched to a Mustang seat and Kuryakyn highway pegs and just made all the difference in the world for comfort. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts