Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys! I traded my 83 wing for a 99 kz1000p fixed the lights, oil leak ect. but it has a tappet noise in the left side head, not real loud but more than I would like. From what I have read on here they get tighter not loose, what is your guess? I just got it and don't have a manual yet (any body have one laying around) Not a drop of oil on the heads, maybe a light skip now and then at an idle, plugs might be a hair rich but all the same. Runs strong and starts on the first hit when cold. Bad spring? When I start it the oil in the sight glass drops down fast so I think that the pressure is good. Built my wing out of four junk motors and it ran fine, but all of these pistons face up. Dana

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,204 Posts
pull the valve cover and check the valve clearance... sounds loose... if the valves/seats arent beating each other to death (most likely not on a police bike that sees low rpms most of its life) then the valves wont receed as fast as the sport bike.....
maybe the cam chain tensioner is getting worn.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Valves normally wear to decrease clearance, but there are expections such as carbon built up on their seating surfaces, especially intake without the heat to ash the carbon. So, lifted off the seat increases clearance. I think the cam chain is central rather than left, but noises telegraph through aluminum so the origin is sometimes elusive. Clearances are easy to measure, but more difficult to set right, but based on the work required, not the intelligence required. As per my signature, I also want a KZ1000P.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Would a 1983 KZ1000 be shims atop or below the bucket?
Shim on top, as far as I know only the 83-84 GPz1100 and maybe 84 KZ1100 shaft had shim on bottom.

By the way, it's going to be tough to find a 1980 KZ1000P, the P models didn't start until 1982, so a 1980 would be a C model.

EDIT:
After re-reading your sig says 1980 KZ1000Police, so I mistook it for KZ1000P.
Maybe it should say 1980 KZ1000Cop for blind people like me :D

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
ya as i said , a police bike thats not been BEAT ON SINCE DAY ONE unlike most sport bikes.... could be an exhaust leak for all we know playing tech over the net... :mrgreen:
And I am really amazed at the great diagnostic work that we get from this board seeing we can only go by what the owner posts. He/she has to be the eyes and ears as well as report accurate symptoms. Which is not always easy given the lack of mechanical knowledge of some posters and their describing of symptoms.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
problem found/ now what

Ok! I tore it down today and not good. Some fine self help mechanic stripped three of the cam bearing support bolts, so the tap was the support moving. I checked the depth of the holes and they had 1/2 an inch past the bolts that were used so I put longer ones in and will pray a lot. Bike ran smooth after i was done, but don't expect to do nine grand until I get some advise. Should I helicoil the holes, fill them with high temp epoxy and re-thread or look for a head and a rebuild?

·
Registered
276 Posts
highcountry:

I just did the cams on my 1981 KZ550A2 and was surprised by the low torque values for these cam bearing cap bolts. I think that the bolts go through the locating dowels so 1 mm oversize bolts might be difficult. But here is my approach if things aren't too bad. Chase the bunged threads with a well lubricated (engine oil is OK) thread forming tap. Not a cutting tap. The forming tap might push the aluminum thread back in acceptably to hold the bolt torque spec. For extra insurance do the above all in 1 mm over size and ream the dowels. A non-engineering bodge is to sometimes find a close inch size bolt that is a thread and diameter mis-match, but bites and holds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounded good when I put it back together with the longer bolts and the cam bearings looked good. I think that its a choice of to helicoil and or ride the hell out of it.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,706 Posts
Some info,

Stripped cam tower retaining threads , been there :D
A 6mm heilicoil tap is 7mm . 7mm bolts were found on some Honda drive chain adjusters . installing a heilcoil in a hole where a dowel is counterbored into with or without the dowel in place is difficult in the extreme . I'd go with the up one size method if the helicoil install gave me any problems .

~kop

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hy highcountry, this is kz west, I also hav an 02 zk1000p, it has 15500 mi. on it, sat up for three years in a garage. got it used 1 month ago. alog with carb,and cluch work, I also had valve tick, and as im writing this, my valve cover is off and everything is ok, cam lobes, shim clerance, timingchan, and guides are good. p.s. get a climers manual,they go up to 02-police kz1000, and are a good sorse of info. looking fowerd to your reply........

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My cam and all looked good but when I turned it over with the plugs out the #3 cam bearing cap was lifting off the head and dropping. (the tap) It ran fine today and no more noise but I'll still do the retap or coil them. Has anyone used the Time-serts that I have read a little about?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.