Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Was thinking of going to look at this 93 ZX7 for $2000. Gentleman sent a vid of it running and states it has a "tapping" noise. Said he rebuilt the carbs, compression is good and he rides it daily. What could this noise be? And should I avoid this bike?ZX7 Unknown noise Thank you to anyone that answers!

·
Registered
986 Posts
This could be a couple of things. From the freuqency, it could be loose valves. If the compression is good, then loose valves. However, there seems to be a lot of overhead cam chain noise. It could either be stretched, or the adjuster is not functioning correctly. You haven't stated the mileage. Does it need tires, chain and sprockets? This all counts. To me $200 grand may be a bit high, haveing not seen it. The again, I am ruthless when it comes to buying bikes. I purchased a ZZR1200 last year, 2004, for $2400 dollars, and it has nothing wrong with it. In my mind, that's why I think it's a bit high. If it needs chains and sprockets, and tires, that's $500 bucks right off the top in my book. That being said though, some bikes are special, and especially clean, so it may be worth the price. I would consider having him fix the issues, then buying the bike at the more expensive price. If you can do this work, then that again is a different issue, but not matter what, time is money. You will have to balance those factors, and how much you want this particular motorcycle. There are so many for sale right now. This is an older bike. Parts will be available, but you find some aren't.

These bikes, everywhee I have looked up seem to go for around $1550 in price for one in good condition. This bike could be pristine, but the engines noises means it's not in good condition. A $1500 dollar tune up might fix all that. DO the math, and I woulod try to beat the guy to $1500 if the bike looks pristine, and I really wanted that particular bike. Have cash in hand, money talks bullsh*t walks. Pictures would really help. It was/is a very nice bike, in it's day, and now. . :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This could be a couple of things. From the freuqency, it could be loose valves. If the compression is good, then loose valves. However, there seems to be a lot of overhead cam chain noise. It could either be stretched, or the adjuster is not functioning correctly. You haven't stated the mileage. Does it need tires, chain and sprockets? This all counts. To me $200 grand may be a bit high, haveing not seen it. The again, I am ruthless when it comes to buying bikes. I purchased a ZZR1200 last year, 2004, for $2400 dollars, and it has nothing wrong with it. In my mind, that's why I think it's a bit high. If it needs chains and sprockets, and tires, that's $500 bucks right off the top in my book. That being said though, some bikes are special, and especially clean, so it may be worth the price. I would consider having him fix the issues, then buying the bike at the more expensive price. If you can do this work, then that again is a different issue, but not matter what, time is money. You will have to balance those factors, and how much you want this particular motorcycle. There are so many for sale right now. This is an older bike. Parts will be available, but you find some aren't.

These bikes, everywhee I have looked up seem to go for around $1550 in price for one in good condition. This bike could be pristine, but the engines noises means it's not in good condition. A $1500 dollar tune up might fix all that. DO the math, and I woulod try to beat the guy to $1500 if the bike looks pristine, and I really wanted that particular bike. Have cash in hand, money talks bullsh*t walks. Pictures would really help. It was/is a very nice bike, in it's day, and now. . :)
Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out. As for miles it's at 25,500. I'm a college student from out of the country so the funds are definitely on the low end. I am mechanically inclined but don't have a ton of time to be fooling around with any big jobs. Bike is not anywhere close to being in "great condition" all things considered. On top of that it's 3 hours away from me. Here is a link to the ad where it is listed for sale hope it works. Once again thank you for the advice! Log into Facebook hope it works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts