Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. It's been about three weeks of looking for a cruiser of sorts... well, two actually if you discount the five days of rain. ;) Yesterday, I checked out my last two dealerships, and ran smack dab into something rather unbelievable.

But first, let's back up 10 months...

I can't help but scream at the odyssey the better part of the last year has taken me on. I bought an all black '06 VN900B, didn't really think thru the discomfort-correction options, and traded her in for the Ninja 650R. While I had A LOT of fun and learned a lot about riding with that machine, I've always regreted the move. The physical allure of the Vulcan, IMHO, was much more powerful; "she had a street presence", as my friend likes to say. Then there was the fact that my wife just did not like the move as well. She paid a heavy price on what few rides she was able to endure on the sportbike - a greater number of ownerships months exist as opposed to the total number of rides she took. I've missed her company on the road.

Now back to the present...

At the first stop, in my attempt to vie for an '07 C50, it proved to be a short conversation. I got a severe feeling that they weren't going to budge from a rather astronomical price of the high $7 to low $8K figure. (the HANDLING FEE alone was $1400 - I've never seen that fee so high anywhere), and they were lowballing my trade-in (sorry, but I take care of my bike; nearly 20% below KBB doesn't cut it). I left.

At the next stop, I checked up on an what has proved to be the ONLY '06 Vulcan 900 Classic being sold at a dealership in my area, and ironically, it happened to be all-black. It was listed at $7200 OTD, a touch out of my range. I went there on the off-chance that some negotiation could be done... and found out the ad was old.

:eek:It had dropped down to approx $6500... OTD:eek:

***I know you see where this is going. I'll pause here as you laugh at the irony of it all.***

T-Minus 7 hours. I've got a noon appointment to bring in my Ninja for the trade-in evaluation, then I'm making the move on my goal.

Vulcaneers... with a little luck (please, let nothing go wrong today) I am returning. 8)

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Very sweet! Best of luck to you.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
Good luck on your deal! Very cool picture! Seeing those things makes me want to stand up and salute. Makes me feel proud!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Then there was the fact that my wife just did not like the move as well. She paid a heavy price on what few rides she was able to endure on the sportbike -
There's a lot to be said for getting something she enjoys as well and you can do together, led my wife to get her own! She would have never done that if I had gotten the Ducati Monster I really wanted....Good choice Slo'!

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Just a SWAG...but I'm guessing that's the USS Hornet

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Wait a minute, my memory might be hazy, but you traded your black 900 because you were uncomfortable for the blue 650, now you're getting a black 900 again? :confused:

What happened to looking at used 1500's?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Okay. It's been about three weeks of looking for a cruiser of sorts... well, two actually if you discount the five days of rain. ;) Yesterday, I checked out my last two dealerships, and ran smack dab into something rather unbelievable.

But first, let's back up 10 months...

I can't help but scream at the odyssey the better part of the last year has taken me on. I bought an all black '06 VN900B, didn't really think thru the discomfort-correction options, and traded her in for the Ninja 650R. While I had A LOT of fun and learned a lot about riding with that machine, I've always regreted the move. The physical allure of the Vulcan, IMHO, was much more powerful; "she had a street presence", as my friend likes to say. Then there was the fact that my wife just did not like the move as well. She paid a heavy price on what few rides she was able to endure on the sportbike - a greater number of ownerships months exist as opposed to the total number of rides she took. I've missed her company on the road.

Now back to the present...

At the first stop, in my attempt to vie for an '07 C50, it proved to be a short conversation. I got a severe feeling that they weren't going to budge from a rather astronomical price of the high $7 to low $8K figure. (the HANDLING FEE alone was $1400 - I've never seen that fee so high anywhere), and they were lowballing my trade-in (sorry, but I take care of my bike; nearly 20% below KBB doesn't cut it). I left.

At the next stop, I checked up on an what has proved to be the ONLY '06 Vulcan 900 Classic being sold at a dealership in my area, and ironically, it happened to be all-black. It was listed at $7200 OTD, a touch out of my range. I went there on the off-chance that some negotiation could be done... and found out the ad was old.

:eek:It had dropped down to approx $6500... OTD:eek:

***I know you see where this is going. I'll pause here as you laugh at the irony of it all.***

T-Minus 7 hours. I've got a noon appointment to bring in my Ninja for the trade-in evaluation, then I'm making the move on my goal.

Vulcaneers... with a little luck (please, let nothing go wrong today) I am returning. 8)
Good luck Alex. The only thing missing in that picture is you on that bike. She looks like a real gem. We are rooting for you.

D

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Fingers crossed for you - sounds like a good deal. Really like that pic.

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone.

Good luck man...BTW I love the pic in front of the Essex or Intrepid class Flattop. What ship is it?
Just a SWAG...but I'm guessing that's the USS Hornet
And we have a winner. USS Hornet in Alameda.

Nooo! You're getting rid of Dory? Shame on you! :p
JT, my man, my head hangs low in guilt. 8) The 650R is definitely one of the most excellent cycles I've ever come across. As I said, I learned so much on handling and riding technique pushing that piece of work through the canyons. I will recommend that bike to just about anyone long after it stops rolling off the assembly lines.

A change in any one of the many conditions for this switch and I would've stayed with it until the motor fell out. However, it was just meant to be. 8)

PS - If the deal does go through, I'll likely be putting some racing apparel up for sale shortly. Let me know if you want some highly discounted dibs. ;)

Wait a minute, my memory might be hazy, but you traded your black 900 because you were uncomfortable for the blue 650, now you're getting a black 900 again? :confused:
Ha ha ha. Ah, the irony I mentioned! :biggrin: Too funny!

In these six months, I really took the time to get familizarized with the mod game with the 900. My troubles always seemed to come up in the equation of higher miles plus higher speeds - I was fine at the lower ends of both worlds.

In a month or so, I'd be primed to get a windshield, the number one item on my list. Risers would be next, followed by replacing - as Rich put it so eloquently - 'the seat made for interrogating prisoners' :lol:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Good job, I hope it all works out well for you!
Aren't you glad you waited? Got the bike you wanted and for less money!

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
I'd recommend looking for a used one maybe. I picked up an '06 Classic with 7K on it for $4500 just this last September. Might not hurt if you're open to a few miles.

·
Dio Dio Dio Dio
6,576 Posts
Aaah farewell to Dory we hardly knew ye.
And we didn't get to paint eyes on ye either:sad:

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TIS COMPLETE!!! SHE'S BACK!!!!!:biggrin:

Well... ALMOST. She's going through the final delivery prep service. I could've picked her up tonight, but the rain is picking up. The all so important pics will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Congrats on the new old bike Alex.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts