Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
in Canuckistan
78 Posts
Jeans dissolve on contact with asphalt. I had to lay my bike down and I really would have liked to ride out the skid but my highway peg caught on the pavement and the bike started to pinwheel so we parted company. Chaps leave one part of the anatamy uncovered and my jeans lasted until contact with the pavement and not an instant longer. No I won't show THAT scar.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
I wouldn't rule out some of the jackets made in Asia or Pakistan. My "budget" jacket was $99 and comparing it to some of the $300 or so jackets I find it's of the same quality leather and stitching. Cheri-Ann and her husband have the same jackets from the same place and are quite satisfied also.
Not saying that all jackets from that area of the world are top notch but they should be considered on a jacket by jacket comparison. You're paying for the big names.
Just my discounted two cents.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I absolutely agree, but when buying online, you have no way of knowing how good it is unless you know someone who already has one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mesh with Armor?

OK, I'm an idiot. Went and bought a Joe Rocket BEFORE reading what the smart folks i.e. experience had to say. Now, I've got the jacket for a little while. One little question: this jacket has all the armor. All this talk speaks to the shred factor of the mesh, but won't I get a little more protection from the armor, assuming it doesn't get rubbed away by the road?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The armour will protect your elbows and shoulders from the primary impact.

Depending on how the armour is held in place, it won't do any good during the slide when there's nothing left to hold it to your elbow.

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
Some things are great to buy online some arent. When we both got leather riding jacketts this spring we were looking online but wanted to touch it and feel it. Try it on for size. Ended up at a leather shop a couple towns away. The Classic cut MC jacketts we got had a good "feel" to them, and we got them to fit. For us, they are more protection from the elements than the pavement, since we ride in Tshirts in hot weather. I still think leather cut out the wind as good or better than anything I'v ever worn. A jackett I ride in a lot is my old Air Force issue leather A2 jackett. Goat skin but it still works well.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
To each his/her own. I've read from several folks on here that went down and had nothing but praise for their mesh jackets. As someone said, most of them have non-perforated Cordura in the areas most likely to bear the brunt of a slide. My Fieldsheer High Temp is VERY substantial 1000 denier material that I would put up against most leather in a test. It is also definitely not the lightest mesh jacket out there (probably weighs 10 pounds or so). I agree there are certainly mesh products out there that aren't as tough, but here in the NC summer, you can either wear a T-shirt, a mesh jacket, or you can stay home. The heat and humidity are simply too oppressive even for perforated leather. Between those 3 options, I'll go with the mesh everytime. Keeps you from getting sunburned too ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK, I'm an idiot. Went and bought a Joe Rocket BEFORE reading what the smart folks i.e. experience had to say. Now, I've got the jacket for a little while. One little question: this jacket has all the armor. All this talk speaks to the shred factor of the mesh, but won't I get a little more protection from the armor, assuming it doesn't get rubbed away by the road?
I wouldn't go kicking yourself just yet, Joe Rocket makes reputable gear, I have heard a lot of praise about how well their mesh gear has held up in crashes. Also, many current Joe Rocket jackets have elastic adjustments on the inside of the forearm and elbow of the jacket to help keep the armor tight against your skin. Tightening those down so that the armor fits snug should help prevent the armor from shifting in a crash.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Probably should of asked before ordering. I just ordered the
Tour Master Draft Air Mesh Jacket. Good price from Newenough.com
My leather was just tooo toooo hot. Never had a mesh jacket and some say will do a good job if you go down. Tried riding around neighborhood with just t-shirt but felt umm naked. Didn't like it. Was cool though LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks all...

Pretty happy so far with the Joe Rocket jacket. Live in Oregon and it's been in the mid 90's the last few. With just the mesh (no liner) feels not too bad as long as traffic is moving.

Dammitmike (bet your wife gave you that nick name heh heh), right you are on the adjustments. Cinch those babies up and it actually feels safer. Thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pretty happy so far with the Joe Rocket jacket. Live in Oregon and it's been in the mid 90's the last few. With just the mesh (no liner) feels not too bad as long as traffic is moving.

Dammitmike (bet your wife gave you that nick name heh heh), right you are on the adjustments. Cinch those babies up and it actually feels safer. Thanks a ton!!
Haha, still in college so no wife just yet, but I hear it so much that it might as well be printed on my drivers license :) Glad to hear you're liking the jacket so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But even at a 20% loss, it still blows textile away.
The best Kevlar textile is shredded in 18 feet.
Quality leather is good for 80 feet.
This may no longer be true as aramid fibers (Kevlar) have improved tremendously.

Grinfactor Kevlar Jeans vs Leather Jacket and Synthetic trousers and Stanley Knife. - YouTube

Kevlar and Leather have no melting points, whereas polyester and nylong do. ER doctors complain of fibers melted into the flesh of road rash wounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow this is eye opening. I guess I'll have to swap my jeans out now. I might just buy some pads to slip over though. That might be a little bit easier. I think the key to having durable gear is to have it made out of kevlar because thats what they make bulletproof vests out of.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had a 40 MPH low-side, last Fall. My son was my passenger. He was wearing my old MC jacket, a $70, armored jacket from Leatherup.com. As gear goes, this was a bargain-basement item. He landed on his foam-armored elbow, and buttocks. The slide ground off 1/2 of that foam armor pad on his elbow, after it went through the 600-denier fabric, but his elbow was intact.

His buttocks were 'protected' by bluejean denim: he lost some skin on both cheeks, as well as one thigh. His full-face helmet protected his head, as it did scrape pavement a bit, according to scratches on the outside. We both slid around 40 feet, on our backs, before we stopped. I had a 3/4-length armored jacket from Mossi, leather chaps, and a modular helmet (which never touched the pavement). I also had leather gloves on, while my son did not. His hands also had some rash on them. My only injury, was a scratch, on the knuckle of one hand. My buttocks never burned through my denim, I even had my wallet in my rear pocket when I got up (my son's leather wallet was severely burned, and it's plastic card contents were strewn all over the road behind him). My chaps have some very minor scrapes on them, if you look for them; my jacket suffered some rashing on one sleeve cuff, nothing else (still wearing it); my gloves are intact, as well.

Chaps may not protect your cheeks, but they're one of the best forms of protection, for the money spent. They may not look very chic, but they are functional when and where it counts. YMMV. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
we are especially manufacturing and Exporting of all kind of Motorbike and fashion Garments
Our major items are Motorbike Jacket. Motorbike suit, Leather, vest, Leather pant, Motocross Gloves, Motorbike Suits, Lederhosen, Polo & T shirts etc.
Keeping every process in Personal Care from designing, embroidery, production and approvals means that the best job is done on time "every time" at the most favorable prices possible. Please visit our webpage ::::ContinentelLeather::::
we want to you be so happy with our qualities and service that you come back time and time again.TRY US. Lets us ask about your current demands that we may offer you our best services
if you have any question please feel free to write us.
Hope to speak more with you soon

Best regards.
Ghulam Shabbir
Cell: +92 345 6834390
PH: - +92 523 550390
Email: [email protected]
Skype ID: continentelleather

21 - 36 of 36 Posts