Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rencetnly purchased a 10 and LOVE IT..!!.. Although i have one concern my local mechanic either answered and i don't believe him or he is correct.

THE PROBLEM: There is a whistling noise or rattling that is very loud when running about 3500 to anywhere around 9000 RPM's. On hard acceleration no noise. On slow cruising speed or low RPM's (under 3500)no noise. Only moderdate throttle do i get the noise and sorry to say, that's most of the time. I had a 2000 ZX-7R and the noise was there, but not as loud or as frequent in the previous scenario. I was just wondering if my mechanic was right when he called it the "Exhaust Valve" opening and closing? Is this normal? and if so, is it neccessary to have it? :?:
I have heard from other ZX-10 owners that have permanently opened the valve to avoid this noise or removed that section form the exhaust when installing a pipe. Is this advisable? A solution to this issue is greatly needed.

Thanks for all who replies with an educated answer.
Ride safe..!!..

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
p-sobe said:
1. There is a whistling noise or rattling that is very loud when running about 3500 to anywhere around 9000 RPM's. On hard acceleration no noise. On slow cruising speed or low RPM's (under 3500)no noise. Only moderdate throttle do i get the noise and sorry to say, that's most of the time. I had a 2000 ZX-7R and the noise was there, but not as loud or as frequent in the previous scenario. I was just wondering if my mechanic was right when he called it the "Exhaust Valve" opening and closing? Is this normal? and if so, is it neccessary to have it? :?:

2. I have heard from other ZX-10 owners that have permanently opened the valve to avoid this noise or removed that section form the exhaust when installing a pipe. Is this advisable? A solution to this issue is greatly needed.
1. ive never heard of an EXHAUST VALVE being THAT noisey. its just a small servo opening and closeing the valve as NEEDED in relationship to RPM. i highly doubt its the valve making noise that loud, if it is then it needs replaced IMHO. i didnt think the zx-7r has the exhaust valve (not a 100% positive)

2. DO NOT REMOVE THE VALVE !! its there to help bottom end torque/ridablility in traffic/around town. it opens as exhaust flow is increased. if you really want to try it and see for yourself then unplug it and wire it fully open. go ride the bike and see what you think of it :roll:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thanks a ton for the answer. Um, let's say that i am a very good rider, but no mechanic. I know the basics, and can tell you what is happening to the bike, but not what part exactly that does it, so i'll have to pass on trying it out. I am due for an oil change but am waiting to have some answers and / or ideas for my mechanic to check out. I am really leaning towards the idea that it shouldn't be making any noise like this. i'll have him test ride and give him the parameters to stay within to verify the noise for himself, and see what he says after that. If you have any other ideas, please let me know. I did think of one thing last night. when it was last checked out, and i told him about it, we were down by the mid-pipe listening and he said that is the location that the valve noise should be coming from. But when i'm riding, i can hear it from the normal riding poisition(without a helmet) and it sounds as if it's coming from under the gauges somewhere. i put my face down by the tach and handlebars, and it's sounds like it's right under the gauges. weird i know, but soooo annoying. Thanks again, and i'd like to keep chatting if possible to get an answer or solution.

ride safe..........

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
where are you located ?
if you want to know for sure then
have your mech. unplug it and wire it open t
hen test ride it yourself to see if you still hear it.
if no noise then you know that was the problem but if its still there then it may be a leak around your ram air/airbox system since you think its coming from the front end.
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, perfect info for me to go get it looked at. Thanks a bunch....
um, i'm located in miami.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 10s are noisy bikes by nature. Some of the noise you may be hearing can be from a number of things. Some of the more popular causes are the clutch driven generator and some guys complain about the cam chain tensioner. The engine cases on these bikes aren't very thick so you will hear a lot of noise from them. I haven't heard that many guys I've talked to with 10s complain about the exhaust valve making noise. Most of them disable it because there seems to be talk about getting more HP out of this mod. Also if you go with an aftermarket full system, the exhaust valve is eliminated anyways. The manufacturer for the full exhaust system will have directions on how you are to bypass the exhaust valve setup to prevent a trouble code with the FI computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I took it in for my second oil change. Got feedback from you guys and my mechanic. It's either the ram/air system, exhaust valve, or the engine just roaring. I'll get used to it. Yeah noisy is right..!!.. BUT fast as speedy gonzales on speed. :lol: Thanks again for all the info fellow riders............be safe out there........ :!:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts